Clay Cupcake Ornaments
- White Sculpey polymer clay*
- Studio by Sculpey Glossy Glaze*
- Acrylic paints in desired colors
- Wire, 18-gauge
- Ribbon, yarn or ornament thread (for hangers)
- Optional: Sculpey Clay Gun*
- Acrylic brayer or rolling pin
- Wire cutter
- Oven or toaster oven
- Parchment-lined baking sheet
- *Products by Polyform Products
- Follow manufacturer’s instructions to condition clay. Roll quarter-size ball and slightly smaller ball from clay.
- Roll smaller ball into cylinder shape and flatten ends. Make one end slightly tapered. Use toothpick to crease sides so they resemble a cupcake wrapper.
- Free form larger cupcake ball into cupcake top; press onto base. Another option is to roll out clay into a long snake and coil it onto top of cupcake for a frosted look. (Note: The Sculpey Clay Gun is an extruding tool with interchangeable disks for making different snakes with varied textures and sizes. Some disks work well for the twirl frosted look.)
- Cut 1” to 1-1/2”-long wire length. Make a loop at one end and twist for cupcake hanger. Insert opposite end into top of cupcake.
- To decorate cupcake, leave cupcake as is or make jimmies, sprinkles or cherries. (Note: The Sculpey Clay Gun is also helpful for decorating.) Roll clay into thin, toothpick-width snake, then cut little jimmie-size pieces and press onto cupcake top. Make cherries, flowers or other desired shapes.
- Bake cupcakes at 275°F for 15 minutes.
- Paint cupcakes as desired. (Note: Apply two coats of paint for best coverage.)
- For hanger, thread ribbon, yarn or thread through loop; knot ends.
- 1. To create magnet, use a very thin strip of wire to slice cupcake in half. Bake, paint and glaze in same way as ornament. Glue magnet to back.
- 2. Instead of painting ornament, use colored Sculpey clay.
Swag with Ornaments Hanging