Mini Patchwork Heart Sampler
- Complementary neutral fabrics, nine 3-1/4” squares
- Pink fabric (for borders), four 3-1/4”x15” strips
- Fabric (for backing), one 15” square
- Quilt batting, one 15” square
- Creative Paperclay Delight Modeling Medium, 1 pkg.
- DMC 6-strand Embroidery Floss: Pink
- Embellishments: buttons, patchwork heart, felt heart, lace scraps, vintage buckle
- Sewing machine and thread
- Embroidery needle
- Heart cookie cutter, 2”
- Rubber stamps, in designs of choice
- White acrylic paint
- Jacquard Products Pearl-Ex Duo Red/Blue Pigment Powder
- Beacon Adhesives Fabri-Tac Glue
scissors, ruler, pins, paintbrush, paper towel, iron
- 1. Use 1/4” seam allowance throughout for all machine stitching.
- 1. With right sides facing, machine stitch nine 3-1/4” squares together, creating three rows of three squares each for total of nine patchwork block.
- 2. With right sides facing, machine stitch one pink strip (border) onto edge of block. Trim excess; press seam open. Repeat process to stitch remaining strips to block, creating mini quilt top. Press well using iron.
- 3. Referring to photo, use three stands pink floss to embroider fly stitch on seams of quilt top.
- 4. Referring to photo, stitch one button, lace scrap, patchwork heart, or felt heart into each square on quilt top.
- 5. To create clay hearts, roll out thin layer of paperclay. Press rubber stamp into clay and remove. Use cookie cutter to cut heart shape. Paint hearts white; let dry. Apply pigment powder onto hearts; use paper towel to wipe excess. Use embroidery needle to poke two holes on center of one heart (for button).
- 6. Glue one clay heart and attach clay button heart onto quilt top.
- 7. With right sides facing, layer and pin backing to quilt front. Pin batting to top of quilt.
- 8. Machine stitch around quilt leaving 3” opening at bottom. Turn right side out; clip seam allowance and corners. Press borders using iron.
- 9. Use two strands pink floss to slip stitch opening closed.