Heartfelt Treat Bags
- Wool Felt (National Nonwovens), 1/2 yd.: English Rose; Rustic Crimson; White
- White muslin, 1/4 yd.
- Natural burlap, 1/4 yd.
- 6-strand Embroidery Floss DMC: White; Garnet (816)
- White satin ribbon, 1/2”
- Wooden ovals, 2-1/2” across, three
- Americana Acrylic Paints (DecoArt): Melon; Snow White; Antique White
- Glamour Dust (DecoArt)
- Rubber stamps (Hero Arts): Manuscript background; tiny alphabet
- Black pigment ink
- Americana Acrylic Spray Sealer (DecoArt)
- Lite Steam-a-Seam (The Warm Co.)
- Sewing machine and matching thread
- Embroidery needle
- Drill and drill bit
- Iron and pressing board
- Using a 1/2” seam allowance, cut two 6”x7-1/2” rectangles each from wool felt colors. Press and pin as needed. Cut one set of each color handles for each bag that measure 1”x8”. Set handles aside.
- Follow manufacturer’s instructions to fuse muslin, burlap and 3” squares of wool felt colors to webbing. Print pattern. Transfer heart to fused wool felt and cut out. Cut 3”x5” from rectangle burlap and 2-1/2”x4” rectangle from muslin.
- Stamp background on muslin rectangles. (Note: Back muslin rectangles with scrap paper.)
- Place burlap rectangle on one felt rectangle and fuse in place with iron. Fuse muslin rectangle to center of burlap and heart to center of muslin.
- Use three strands of embroidery floss to blanket stitch edges of all patterns except edges of burlap or muslin. (Note: Use backstitch 1/8” from edge of fabrics). Blanket stitch edges of all handles with Garnet or White floss.
- Place felt bag right sides together and sew three sides closed with sewing machine, leaving top side open for bag and turning. Turn bags right sides out. Use black thread to blanket stitch top edges of bag. Attach handles to inside front and inside back of bag with needle and thread.
- Paint ovals. When dry, use tiny alphabet stamps to stamp sentiments in center of ovals. Let dry. Apply sealer. While sealer is still wet, sprinkle generously with Glamour Dust.
- Drill hole at top of ovals. Cut 8” length from ribbon. Use ribbon to tie ovals onto bag handles.
Treat Bag Fillers
- 1. Besides chocolates and candy, here are some thoughtful gifts to tuck inside these adorable treat bags.
- 2. Bath salts or spa items, Tealight candles, Jewelry, Magazine subscription, Puzzles, Tickets to a show or sporting event, Gift card, Rubber stamps or paper crafting embellishments, Paintbrushes, Beading or jewelry-making kit, Cookies, Stickers and tattoos, Hair accessories.