Paper Art Jewelry
- White copy paper, 8-1/2”x11”, two sheets
- Cardstock: black, 5-1/2”x8-1/2”, 5”x5” (two); magenta, 4”x5-1/4”, 1-1/2”x2”, 2-1/2” square, 1” square; black/white check, 3-1/2”x4-3/4”, 2” square
- Black glossy dimensional paint
- Assorted small black beads of choice
- Elastic bead cord, 14” length
- Pin back, 1” long
- Cardboard, 5/8”, 1-1/4”
- Optional: Black ink pad
- Black fine-tip permanent marker
- Plastic plate or silicone pad
- Small brush
- Small disposable bowl
- Paper towels
- Embossing tool
- Plastic-foam block, 2” thick, approximately 4”x8”
- Liquid Laminate (Beacon Adhesives)
- Zip Dry Paper Glue (Beacon Adhesives)
- Cotton swabs, at least eight
- 1. Print out patterns. Cut two bolt bead patterns, two tapered bead patterns and four 1/2”x11” barrel beads.
- 2. Cut ends from eight cotton-tip swabs and save sticks.
- 3. Create a barrel bead by centering one 1/2” end (the final 1”-2”) in place with Zip Dry and set aside. Repeat to create three more beads, leaving beads on sticks.
- 4. Create a bolt bead by centering 3/4” end along a swab stick and rolling length of paper snugly around stick. Secure the end (the final 1”-2”) in place with Zip Dry and set aside. Repeat to create one more bead, leaving beads on sticks.
- 5. Create a tapered bead by centering the 3/4” end along a swab stick and rolling the length of the paper snugly around the stick. Secure the end (the final 1”-2”) in place with Zip Dry and set aside. Repeat to create one more bead, leaving beads on sticks.
- 6. Decorate a bead with the dimensional paint and marker (for fine details) as desired, keeping the ends of the bead free of paint. With bead still on stick, set the stick in the foam to dry. Repeat to complete remaining beads. Quick Tip: Simple designs work best.
- 7. When paint is dry, carefully remove beads from sticks by gently sliding them off.
- 8. Pour a small amount of Liquid Laminate into a bowl. Dip each bead into the laminate to cover, using a brush as needed to completely cover the bead. Remove the bead from the liquid with a toothpick and set aside on plate to dry.
- 9. String beads on elastic cord as shown using two black beads between each paper bead. Quick Tip: Dip ends of elastic in laminate and let dry. This prevents ends from raveling and also makes them a bit sturdier to thread through beads.
- 10. Tie ends of elastic in a secure knot. Trim elastic ends and secure with a dab of Zip Dry. Tug on elastic to hid knot inside a bead.
- 1. Make one of each bead (bolt, barrel and tapered) in same way as bracelet steps 1-8.
- 2. Cut a 1-1/4”x1-3/4” strip from white paper. Wrap strip around cardboard like a package and secure ends with Zip Dry.
- 3. Arrange paper and black beads as desired. Secure beads in place with Zip Dry. (Note: Use black dimensional paint to fill in any gaps between beads, if desired.)
- 4. Adhere pin back to cardboard.
- 1. Fold 5-1/2”x8-1/2” black cardstock rectangle in half to make a 4-1/4”x5-1/2” card.
- 2. Ink edges of 4”x5-1/4” and 1-1/2”x2” magenta cardstock rectangles. Repeat for 3-1/2”x4-3/4” black/white check card stock rectangle.
- 3. Punch two holes in center of smaller magenta cardstock rectangle, approximately 1/2” apart.
- 4. Layer papers as shown and secure edges with Zip Dry.
- 5. Attach pin, weaving pin through holes punched in magenta cardstock.
- 6. Cut a 4”x5-1/4” rectangle from white cardstock and adhere to inside of card for a sentiment, if desired.
- 1. Make two bolt beads as directed for bracelet steps 1-8.
- 2. For box top, with wrong side facing up, measure and mark 1” lines along edges of one of the 5” black cardstock squares. Use embossing tool to score along lines. Fold along scored lines and clip ends as shown on pattern. Fold ends in and secure with Zip Dry.
- 3. For box bottom, repeat step 2 for remaining 5” black cardstock square, measuring and marking lines slightly wider than 1” (a scant 1-1/16”).
- 4. Ink edges of remaining magenta and black/white check cardstock pieces.
- 5. Layer and glue papers to box top as shown.
- 6. Adhere beads in place with Zip Dry.