Posh Thread-Sketched Pillow Pocket
- Heavy cotton fabric similar to pillow color, 1/3 yd.
- Organza in various colors, 1/8 yd. each
- Black embroidery thread
- Pillow, 16”x16”
- Black thread for bobbin
- Light-colored threads to match organza
- Water-erasable marking pen
- Sewing machine
- Free-motion foot
- Straight pins
- Iron and pressing board
- Trim and straighten cotton fabric raw edges. Sew a small hem along one long edge.
- Measure pillow top and cut the cotton fabric for the pocket double the length of the measurement plus 1” (sample is 33”).
- Using water-erasable pen, draw desired design on right side of fabric.
- Cut narrow strips of organza 2” to 3” wide and place on pocket top overlapping the sheer fabric for added interest. Line up one end of each strip with unhemmed long edge and extend it beyond the hemmed edge at various lengths, ranging from 1” to 3”. Pin in place.
- Using coordinating thread colors, sew the long edges of the organza down with a straight stitch.
- With black embroidery thread on top, black thread in the bobbin, and using the free-motion foot, free motion sew following the markings on the fabric. Keep the lines light and sketchy for a casual pencil sketched look.
- When “thread sketching” is complete, fold fabric, right sides together, in half short ends together and sew using a 1/2” seam allowance.
- Fold flat with seam in the middle then sew along the unhemmed edge, forming a pocket. Turn right side out.
Posh Threaded-Sketched Pillow