Trick or Treat
- 14”x14” Grasshopper 14-count Aida (Charles Craft by DMC)
- 6-strand Embroidery Floss (DMC)
- #4 Braid (026L, 027L) (Kreinik Mfg. Co., Inc.)
- 1/4 yd. orange print fabric
- 3/4 yd. black print fabric
- 1/2 yd. green print fabric for lining
- 1/2 yd. fusible fleece
- Matching sewing thread
- Backstitch: >1 strand
- Cross-stitch: >3 strands
- Stitch design centered on fabric.
- After stitching is complete, trim Aida to within 10 rows of design edges. Cut 4 strips of orange fabric 2”x12”. With right sides facing and raw edges matching, pin fabric to top and bottom of Aida. Sew with a 1/2 inch seam; press seams open. Pin remaining 2 strips along sides, right sides facing and stitch with a 1/2” seam. Trim any excess fabric so raw edges are even.
- Cut 4 strips of black fabric 3”x17”. Using a 1/2” seam and with right sides facing and matching along raw edges of orange fabric, sew a strip to top and bottom of your project, press seams open and trim to match orange strips at sides. Sew remaining two strips of black fabric to side edges in same way. Project now measures 15-1/2”x15-1/2”.
- For back of tote, cut a piece of black fabric to this same size. Cut two strips of orange fabric 2”x15-1/2”. With right sides facing and raw edges matching, stitch one strip to top of front and one to back of tote. Each piece now measures 15-1/2”x16-1/2”. Cut two pieces of fusible fleece to this same size. Fuse one to wrong side of front and one to wrong side of back of tote according to manufacturer’s instructions. With right sides facing and using a 1/2” seam, join the front to back along side and bottom edges. Turn tote to right side.
- For handles, cut 2 strips of black fabric 3-1/2”x24”. Fold each strip in half lengthwise, right side facing and stitch with a 1/2” seam along long edge. Turn each handle to right side; press flat with seam along edge. Position one handle along top edge of front of tote, raw edges matching and 2-1/2” from side seams making sure handle is not twisted. Pin in place. Repeat to position second handle on back of tote.
- Cut two pieces of lining fabric 15-1/2”x16-1/2”. With right sides facing, using a 1/2” seam, stitch along side and bottom edges leaving a 5” gap in stitching along bottom for turning.
- Place bag, right side out, inside lining, wrong side out, with raw edges matching. Right sides will be together with handles sandwiched in between tote and lining. Stitch a 1/2” seam along upper edge all around. Turn bag right side out through gap in the lining. Topstitch 1/4” from tote’s upper edge and close gap in lining with hand or machine stitching.