Parisian Wooden Hearts
- Walnut Hollow Basswood Heart Plaques, two
- Sheer organza ribbon, 1-1/2”-wide, 2 yds.
- Silver eye screws
- White flat-backed buttons, in various sizes, eight
- Flat-backed crystals, eight
- Starburst brads, two
- Vintage ticket or postcard
- Recollections self-adhesive glitter tape: Silver
- Tim Holtz Ideaology by Ranger Tissue Tape: Tidings
- Rit Dye: Cocoa Brown, Tan, Petal Pink
- The Stamps of Life by Stephanie Bernard: Alpha4Monogram
- Black pigment ink
- Foam stamp, in design of choice
- Painter’s tape
- Aleene’s Liquid Fusion
scissors, glass measuring cups, plastic containers (three), rubber gloves, plastic wrap, paper towels, plastic table cover, long jewelry tweezers, fine sandpaper, tack cloth, drill and drill bit, foam brush, iron
- Lightly sand heart plaques with fine sandpaper and wipe with tack cloth. Use painter’s tape to divide each heart into two sections horizontally. Use painter’s tape to divide top of each heart into two vertical sections.
- Wearing rubber gloves and working on plastic table cover, use glass measuring cup to mix 1/4 cup Petal Pink dye into 3/4 cup of very hot water. Use foam brush dipped in mixture to color one top half of each heart plaque. Repeat for Cocoa Brown dye, mixing in separate container and using foam brush to color left top of heart. Repeat steps for Tan dye and color bottom of heart.
- Dip sheer cotton or organza ribbon into Petal Pink dye mixture. Let sit in dye bath for 5-10 minutes. With long jewelry tweezers, remove ribbon from dye bath, squeeze out excess dye, and wrap in plastic wrap. Place dyed ribbon in plastic bowl and microwave on high for five minutes to heat set dye. Allow to air dry or place in lingerie bag and dry on low setting in dryer. When dry, remove and iron flat on pressing surface.
- Place buttons into Petal Pink dye bath. Let sit for 5-10 minutes. Remove buttons from dye bath and let dry on paper towels.
- Repeat Step 2 to remix Petal Pink dye bath with very hot water. With dye mixture and foam brush, cover back of each heart with dye.
- When front and back of wooden hearts are dry, carefully remove painter’s tape. Place tissue tape on areas where painter’s tape was applied. Stamp ornate motif with foam stamp and pigment ink.
- Use monogram stamps and pigment ink to stamp bottom of larger heart as shown and “Paris” on smaller heart. Place self-adhesive glitter tape across bottom of tissue tape. Use liquid glue to adhere dyed buttons onto heart and crystals onto center of buttons. Embellish hearts with vintage ticket and larger crystals in centers of stamped motifs using glue.
- Cut ribbon into 12” length and tie into bow. Insert starburst brad into center of bow. Glue bow onto top center of heart. When glue has set, use drill and drill bit to drill small holes at top of heart. Screw in eye screws. Cut remainder of ribbon in half and use for hanger, threading ends into eye screws and knotting in place.