Sweet Treats Cupcake Holder
- Elmer’s Foam Board: White 20”x30”x1/2” sheet
- The Paper Company/TPC Studio Little Lovin’ Collection: 12”x12” scrapbook papers: three “Love Stripe”; two “Hearts All Over”; one “Love Birds”; Puffy stickers
- Wooden items: 10” length of 1”-diameter dowel, three 1-1/2” head beads, craft picks
- Elmer’s CraftBond Extra Strength glue stick
- X-ACTO Products: #1 Craft Knife, 12”x12” self healing cutting mat
- White acrylic paint
- Glue gun and sticks
pencil, ruler, flat paintbrush, clear contact paper (optional)
- Print out pattern. Use craft knife (with new blade) and cutting mat to cut hearts from foam board. (Note: Score lightly first and then press more firmly to cut deeper with several passes of knife. Replace blades often.)
- Plan which paper to put on each heart and on dowel support in center. Save striped paper for edge trim on hearts. (Note: To protect surface of holder from cupcake crumbs and moisture, cover papers that will be on top surfaces with clear contact paper.) Apply glue stick to one heart and attach paper. Turn heart over and place on cutting mat. Use craft knife to trim excess paper. Repeat with other side of heart. Repeat process to attach and trim other print papers onto both sides of remaining two hearts.
- Use craft knife, ruler, and cutting mat to cut seven 1/2”x12” striped paper strips. Use glue stick to attach strips onto cut side edges of hearts, trimming as necessary.
- On small heart, position dowel on center of heart and trace around dowel with pencil. Use craft knife to cut inside pencil line, only going halfway through foam heart. Scoop out foam. (Note: For a snug fit, be sure to cut inside pencil line, frequently testing hole size with dowel as you cut. Make diameter larger as needed but keep snug). Repeat process with large heart. For medium-size heart, mark and cut hole completely through, keeping very snug and enlarging diameter only if necessary to slide dowel through. Use glue gun to glue one end of dowel into hole in large heart only, making sure dowel is perpendicular to heart.
- Use craft knife to cut two 4-1/2” print paper squares. (Note: To help roll paper around dowel, place paper wrong side down on edge of table and with your hand on top, slowly press and drag paper over table edge to curl.)
- Wrap one curled paper around dowel (directly above large heart) and attach with glue stick. Slide medium heart over dowel, keeping it about 1” from top edge of curled paper. Apply thin line of hot glue around dowel, just touching top edge of curled paper and quickly press heart down into glue. Check to be sure heart points align and heart is level before glue cools. Wrap curled paper around dowel and use glue stick to attach. Use glue gun to glue small heart onto top of dowel, aligning heart point and making sure it’s level.
- Paint head beads with white paint. Let dry. For legs, plan position of three beads on bottom of base heart. Use glue gun to attach flat side of beads onto bottom of heart.
- Attach rounded end of wooden craft picks onto backs of four stickers. Arrange cupcakes on holder. Insert craft picks into top of cupcakes.