Valentine Hearts Quilt
- Cotton fabric: in six different prints, one fat quarter; in three different prints: one fat eighth
- White fabric, 1/2 yd.
- Red print fabrics, two different prints: one fat quarter, 1/2 yd.
- Red binding, 1/2 yd.
- Backing fabric, 1-3/4 yds.
- Batting, 45”x60”
- Ellison Sizzix BIGkick or Big Shot Machine and Dies: 3-1/2” square (656683), 3-1/2” strips (656689), 2-1/2” strips (656681); Heart Scallop with Roses by Scrappy Cat (657419)
- Sewing machine and thread
- Fusible interfacing, 1 pkg.
iron, measuring tape or ruler, scissors
- 1. All seam allowances are 1/4” unless otherwise noted.
- 1. Use machine and dies to cut from fabric: eight 3-1/2” squares from each of the six different cotton print fabrics; two 3-1/2”x9-1/2” rectangles from each of the six different cotton print fabrics; two 3-1/2”x9-1/2” rectangles from each of the three different print fabrics; three 5” strips from white fabric; 15 scallop heart pieces from red print fabrics; five 3-1/2” strips from red print fabric (for border); five 2-1/2” strips from red binding.
- 2. Following manufacturer’s instructions, iron fusible interfacing onto two different fabrics for heart shapes. Die cut hearts.
- 3. Iron hearts onto white fabric.
- 4. Piece three 3-1/2” squares together to form 3-1/2”x9-1/2” rectangle. Repeat process 15 times.
- 5. Sew two three-pieced units on both sides of 3-1/2”x9-1/2” rectangle.
- 6. Sew three 3-1/2”x9-1/2” rectangles together forming one 9-1/2” square. Repeat seven times.
- 7. Sew quilt top Row 1 by alternating pieced block and strip pieced block for total of four across.
- 8. Sew white heart strip for Row 2 to Row 1.
- 9. Sew Row 3 rectangle block and alternate with pieced block to four across. Sew another white heart strip onto Row 4. Repeat until all rows are formed.
- 10. For borders, cut one 3-1/2” strip in half. Sew strip onto two other long border strips making two longer strips measuring 57” long. Sew borders onto rows.
- 11. Layer backing, batting, and quilt top together. Quilt by hand or machine quilt as desired.
- 12. Sew binding strips together to form one long strip. Fold wrong sides together lengthwise and press. With 1/4” seam, sew raw edges of binding onto edges of right side of quilt. Turn folded edge of binding to back side of quilt and stitch in place by hand mitering corners.