Silent Night, Holy Night
- DecoArt Americana Acrylics:
Avocado, Bleached Sand, Burnt
Sienna, Burnt Umber, Camel,
Country Red, Deep Midnight Blue,
Flesh Tone, Grey Sky, Hi-Lite Flesh, Honey Brown, Milk Chocolate,
Payne's Grey, Slate Grey, Snow
(Titanium) White, Soft Black, Soft
Blue, Uniform Blue, Violet Haze,
Williamsburg Blue, Winter Blue
- Brushes: Loew-Cornell: La Corneille Golden Taklon: Wash/Glaze, Series 7550, 3/4"; Script Liner, Series 7050, #18/0;
Natural Hair: Dome Round, Series
272, XS; Bristle Brush: Fan, Series 32, #4
- Brushes: JoSonja's Sure Touch, Synthetic Hair: Flat, Series 1370, #4, #12; Oval Dry Brush, Series 2010, #4, #10
- Susan Scheewe Angular Foliage, 1/4"
- DecoArt: Americana Wood Sealer;
DuraClear Varnish, Matte
- Wooden Box Tote (5-3/4" square x 11" tall) from Viking Woodcrafts
- 1. Apply wood sealer to inside and
outside of box; let dry. Sand lightly.
Base inside of box with one coat Winter Blue. Base outside and wood handle Deep Midnight Blue. Measure and mark borders at top and bottom of box as follows: 1/2", 1/2", 1/4". Base top and bottom borders (including top edges of box) Payne's Grey. (Note: Center border remains Deep Midnight Blue base color). Add Winter Blue pinstripe lines between borders; line over with Williamsburg Blue. Use Payne's Grey to slip-slap front center area of box.
- 2. Print out patterns; transfer basic pattern lines for Mary and only mountain and ground lines. (Transfer details as needed.)
- 1. Base Winter Blue. Shade Williamsburg
Blue; deepen shading with Uniform Blue. Dry brush Soft Blue highlights. Deepen inside of sleeves with Deep Midnight Blue; add washy Payne's Grey shading if needed.
Faces, Hands, and Hair
- 1. Base faces and hands Flesh Tone. Shade Burnt Sienna under Mary's chin, around edges of Mary's face, on baby Jesus' face along blanket, and along bottom of Mary's hands and next to sleeves. Dry brush Hi-Lite Flesh highlights in center of Mary's face and on fingers, and on baby Jesus' forehead. Use Country Red to dry brush cheeks and to wash in nose and mouth. Paint eyes Soft Black and eyebrows Burnt Umber.
- 2. Base Mary's hair Milk Chocolate; use liner to add some Honey Brown. Shade Burnt Umber and add Camel highlights.
Mary's Headdress and Jesus' Blanket
- 1. Base Grey Sky; shade Slate Grey and dry brush Snow White highlights. Deepen shading with Deep Midnight Blue. Base stripe on headdress Williamsburg Blue; shade Uniform Blue and dry brush Soft Blue highlights. Use Camel to wash "glow" on Mary's dress around Jesus' head.
- 1. Base sky Uniform Blue; shade Deep
Midnight Blue. Base remaining area
Bleached Sand. Use Violet Haze to wash in mountains; float shading along tops of mountains. Use Deep Midnight Blue to lightly shade along bottom and between mountains. Wash all ground area Avocado; use fan brush to pull up grassy area where lamb is standing. Use dirty brush to add Grey Sky, Violet Haze and Deep Midnight Blue to grassy area working darker colors at front and highlighting back edge Bleached Sand. Use Deep Midnight Blue to add shading and shadows on valley floor; glaze some
Violet Haze here and there.
- 2. Lamb: Base Bleached Sand; slightly
stipple Slate Grey and add Deep
Midnight Blue in shaded areas. Stipple Snow White in highlighted areas. Use Soft Black to paint eyes, nose, and mouth.
- 3. Buildings: Base Bleached Sand; shade Milk Chocolate and then Deep Midnight Blue. Dry brush Snow White highlights. Base windows and doors Milk Chocolate; use liner to shade Burnt Umber and to highlight Bleached Sand.
- 4. Palms: Line tree trunks Burnt Umber;
add a touch of Bleached Sand to
highlight. Base leaves Avocado;
highlight with mixed touches of Camel
+ Avocado (1:1).
- 5. Camels and Wisemen: (Note: Shapes are NOT intended to be defined.) Dab camel shapes Milk Chocolate. Paint wisemen cloaks in Avocado, Violet Haze, and Country Red. Deepen camels with Burnt Umber. Add Deep Midnight Blue to deepen camels and wisemen. Use Bleached Sand to
touch a bit of highlight on camels and
to dab in crowns.
- 6. Star: Line rays Camel; highlight ends
Snow White. Dot stars in sky Snow White. Use dry dome round and Camel to gently scrub around center of star; dry brush star shine down center of mountains, over buildings, and on ground to wisemen.
All Wording and Vines
- 1. Base Winter Blue. Shade "Peace" and "Hope" wording on sides Williamsburg Blue; dry brush Snow
White highlights, then lightly glaze
Violet Haze here and there.
- 1. Base Camel; shade Milk Chocolate.
Randomly dot Camel stars on front of
box behind Mary.
Dove on Left Side
- 1. Base Bleached Sand; shade Milk
Chocolate and then washy Deep Midnight Blue. Shade again with very washy Burnt Umber. Dry brush Snow White highlights. Base beak and feet Camel; shade Milk Chocolate. Base eye Milk Chocolate; add Soft Black pupil and tiny Snow White highlight shine. Glaze a bit of Violet Haze here and there on wings. Base branch and leaves Avocado; use mix of Avocado + Camel (1:1) to highlight.
Large Star on Right Side
- 1. Base Camel; shade Milk Chocolate along edges and dry brush highlights with mix of Camel + Bleached Sand (1:1). Line Snow White rays. Gently dry brush Camel around center of star.
- 1. Apply several varnish coats.