Festive Holday Banners
- DecoArt: Traditions Artist Acrylics: Brown Madder, Dioxazine Purple, Naphthol AS Hue, Vermilion;
Americana Acrylics: Antique Gold,
Antique Green, Asphaltum, Burnt
Sienna, French Vanilla, Green Tea,
Hauser Light Green, Heritage Brick,
Jade Green, Olive Green, Payne's
Grey, Saffron Yellow
- Brushes: Royal & Langnickel Majestic: Shader, Series R4150, #2,
#6, #8; Angular, Series R4160, 1/4", 3/4"; Script Liner, Series R4585, #1; Round, Series R4250, #3; Glaze/Wash, Series R4700, 3/4"; Filbert, Series R4170, #6, #8; Royal Soft-Grip: White Nylon
Blending Mop, Series SG1400, 1/2"
- Foam brush, 1"
- DecoArt Traditions Mediums:
Extender & Blending; Glazing; Multi-Surface Sealer
- Cranberry grosgrain ribbon, 3/8"-wide, 3-1/2 yds.
- Birch plywood, 1/8"
- 1. Print out patterns. Cut six banners
from plywood; drill holes in upper
corners of each banner. Sand both sides and edges of each banner; wipe dust. Apply sealer on all sides.
- 2. Let dry. Lightly sand banners again. Use French Vanilla to base each side of banner; base raw edges Heritage Brick.
- 3. For "Jingle" side, transfer basic
pattern lines. Undercoat letters
Heritage Brick; overcoat Brown Madder.
- 4. For "Thanks" side, use palette knife
to mix a glaze of Burnt Sienna +
Extender (1:1). Use foam brush to
apply a thin Extender coat on one side
of each banner, then use glaze/wash
brush to apply glaze mix. While wet,
crumple a piece of plastic wrap into
a ball; open up. Lay slightly crumpled
wrap over glaze mix and gently press
wrap onto surface. Carefully remove
wrap. Let paint dry. Apply one coat
Glazing Medium over prepared banners. Transfer leaf designs only, taking care to place appropriate leaf design on banners so letters will be in correct order when assembled. (Note: "T" on "Thanks" must be on back side of "E" on "Jingle", "H" on back of "L" on "Jingle", "G" on back of "A", "N" on back of "N", "K" on back of "I", and "S" on back of "J".) Base red leaves Heritage Brick, light green
leaves Hauser Lt. Green, and darker
leaves Antique Green.
- 1. Use palette knife to mix color
mixtures in ratios. Use flat or filbert
brushes in appropriate size for area
to basecoat. When dry, reapply
details and apply Extender. Use
angular and filberts to apply shading
and highlights. Use mop brush to
soften areas. Use Glazing Medium as barrier coat to protect dried
painted areas before continuing to
next painting step; apply up to three
Glazing Medium coats to an area in a 24 hour period, allowing to dry thoroughly before applying Extender & Blending Medium.
- 1. Red Leaves: Shade Dioxazine Purple;
deepen shading with Payne's Grey.
Use #6 filbert and Naphthol AS Hue to
highlight. Strengthen highlights with
Vermilion; further strengthen highlights
with mix of Vermilion + Saffron Yellow
+ French Vanilla (1:1:tch). Use script
liner and mix of Heritage Brick +
French Vanilla (2:1) to paint vein lines. Light Green Leaves: Shade Antique
Green; deepen shading with Payne's
Grey. Use #6 filbert and mix of Hauser Lt. Green + Green Tea (1:1) to highlight; strengthen highlights with
Green Tea. Use script liner and Green
Tea to paint vein lines.
- 2. Dark Green Leaves: Shade Payne's Grey. Use #6 filbert and mix of Antique Green + Olive Green (1:1) to highlight. Strengthen highlights with Olive Green and then with mix of Olive Green + Green Tea (1:1). Use script liner and Green Tea to paint vein lines.
- 3. Leaf Accents: Extend all leaves. Use
filbert to sparingly add accents in
Olive Green, Saffron Yellow, Dioxazine
Purple, and Brown Madder; mop to soften.
- 4. Barrier: Apply Glazing Medium to banners; let dry. Transfer letters.
- 5. Lettering: Use round brush and mix of Payne's Grey + Dioxazine Purple (2:1) to base main body of letters and script liner to paint serifs.
- 1. Light Leaves: Use #6 shader to base Jade Green. Use 1/4" angular to shade with mix of Jade Green + Antique Green + Payne's Grey (1:1:1); deepen shading with Payne's Grey. Load #6 filbert with Green Tea to add highlights; strengthen highlights with mix of Green Tea + Snow White (1:1). Use script liner and Jade Green to base stems. Use same brush and
Green Tea to highlight stems and to add vein lines.
- 2. Dark Leaves: Use #6 shader to base
Antique Green. Use 1/4" angular to shade Payne's Grey; deepen shading with mix of Payne's Grey + Asphaltum (1:1). Load #6 filbert with Jade Green to add highlights. Use script liner and Antique Green to base stems. Use same brush and Jade Green to highlight stems and to add vein lines.
- 3. Leaf Accents: Extend all leaves. Use filbert to sparingly add accents in Olive Green, Saffron Yellow, and Brown Madder; mop to soften.
- 4. Holly Berries: Use round brush to
undercoat Heritage Brick; overcoat Brown Madder. Use 1/4" angular to shade with mix of Dioxazine Purple + Payne's Grey (1:1).
- 5. Jingle Bell: Base Antique Gold; shade
Burnt Sienna and highlight with mix
of Antique Gold + French Vanilla (1:1).
Use script liner and Payne's Grey to
- 6. Burnishing and Flyspecking: Remove
tracing lines. Apply Clear Glazing
Medium on banners; let dry. Apply
Extender over banners; while wet, corner load 3/4" angular to shade (burnish) outer edges. Soften with mop. Let dry. Deepen shading with Asphalutm. Use old toothbrush loaded with tinned Asphaltum to lightly spatter (flyspeck) banners.
- 1. Apply two to three varnish coats.
- 1. Cut five 8" ribbon lengths. Lay banners
out with "Jingle" side up. Stagger
banners so every other banner is on top; line up holes. Thread one ribbon
length through holes and tie in a double
knot. Continue same for each letter,
making sure to keep every other letter
on top. Cut remaining ribbon length in
half. Thread each length through end
holes of banner and tie in place.