Snow Cardinals Gathering
- DecoArt Americana Acrylics: Cool
White, Dark Chocolate, Lamp
(Ebony) Black, Light Cinnamon,
Primary Red, Snow (Titanium) White,
Tangelo Orange, Wedgewood Blue,
- Brushes: Loew-Cornell: La Corneille Golden Taklon: Shader,
Series 7300, #12; Liner, Series 7350, #18/0; Round, Series 7000, #2; Specialty: Round Scumbler, Series 2014, #6; Maxine's Oval Mop Goat Hair, Series 270, 3/8"
- Stencil Brush, 1/4"
- DecoArt: Faux Glazing Medium;
DuraClear Varnish, Satin
- Ornament kit available through
- 1. Cut filigree lace in half and paint
Winter Blue leaving 1/8" of cut edge
unpainted. Use Wedgewood Blue to shade bottom half of filigree, avoiding 1/8" edge. Cut a 4" cardboard circle and a 4-1/2" circle from coordinating fabric. Glue fabric to cardboard, clip edges and turn to other side of cardboard; glue in place. Set aside. Paint wood circle Winter Blue.
- 2. Print out patterns.
#1 Pattern Lines
- 1. Lightly transfer lines. Use Wedgewood
Blue to wash in bear; dry brush wood
circle along top, along edges, and
behind bear here and there, working in small circular motion (Fig. 1). Use Cool White to dry brush "wind gusts"
and to stencil snowflakes (Fig. 2).
Apply Faux Glazing as barrier coat for
- 2. Figs. 3-4. Dampen oval mop and dry, then softly pounce Cool White over bear starting at tips of ears and working down. Make edges slightly fuzzy. Use more Cool White to brighten ears, muzzle, and here and there on head and body.
#2 Pattern Lines
- 1. Lightly transfer lines. Fig. 5. Dip round brush into Lt. Cinnamon and Dk.
Chocolate; paint branches making them wider coming from bear and thinner at tips. Shade branches with brush mix of Dk. Chocolate and a touch of Lamp Black. Dot Snow White "snow" along top of branches. Use Wedgewood Blue to shade around ears, muzzle, under neck and belly, around coal buttons and branch arms. Paint coal buttons Lamp Black. Apply Faux Glaze barrier.
#3 Pattern Lines
- 1. Lightly transfer lines. Fig. 5. Paint
bears scarf with brush mix of Primary Red, Wedgewood Blue and a touch of Snow White. Add a touch more Wedgewood Blue to mix and shade scarf. Add a little more Snow White to original mix and dry brush highlights; randomly dot scarf and
line fringe. Use liner and Lamp Black
to paint bear's eyes, nose, and smile
line. Add tiny Snow White highlight dot in eyes; add highlight shine line on nose and buttons. Apply Faux Glaze barrier.
- 2. Fig. 6. Base cardinals Primary Red.
Base bellies Tangelo Orange; highlight
tops of chests with mix of Tangelo Orange + Snow White (1:1) and shade
bottom of bellies Primary Red. Use Lamp Black to very softly shade bottom of head, tops of each wing, and top of tail. Use Lamp Black to paint face masks, legs, and feet (Fig. 7). Paint beaks Tangelo Orange (Fig. 8). Apply Faux Glaze barrier.
- 3. Fig. 8. Use Lamp Black to outline
bodies with tiny hairs; outline beak
and body, separating from wings, and
add tail feather lines. Dot eyes Snow
White; add Lamp Black pupils.
- 1. Apply three varnish coats. Let dry.
Starting at top of ornament, glue
unpainted lace edge to back of ornament along outer edges. Glue wrong side of fabric circle to back of ornament. Place heavy object over ornament until dry. Add thin cording to lace for hanger.