Holiday Tea-light Holder
- DecoArt: Americana Acrylics:
Antique Teal, Berry Red, Black
Green, Bleached Sand, Bright Green, Bright Yellow, Burnt Umber,
Deep Midnight Blue, Forest Green,
Hauser Dark Green, Napa Red, Navy Blue, Ocean Blue, Peony Pink, Snow (Titanium) White, True Blue, True Red; Dazzling Metallics: Bronze, Emperor's Gold; Splendid Gold; Hot Shots: Fiery Red
- Brushes: Royal & Langnickel:
Aqualon: Shader, Series R2150, #2,
#4, #8, #12; Glaze Wash, Series
R2700, 3/4"; Liner, Series R2595,
- Brushes: Specialty: Oval Mop, Series 900, 1/2"
- Acrylic varnish, satin
- Candle Holder with Insert (#20-11121) from Viking Woodcrafts
- 1. Basecoat insert front and base Antique Teal; sand between coats for smooth finish. Print out pattern; transfer
basic pattern lines. (Transfer details
as needed.) Use glaze wash brush to
softly shade Black Green behind still
- 1. Refer to Painting Chart.
- 1. Side-load glaze wash brush with Burnt Umber; paint shelf so strongest color is at top of "board" and so color gradually fades out at bottom.
- 1. Use #12 shader to base True Blue; shade Navy Blue along bottom and right side and highlight Ocean Blue along top and left side. For snowflakes, use 5/0 liner and Snow White to form designs with fine lines and dots. Shade ornament again with mix of True Blue + Navy Blue (1:1). Use Navy Blue to shade on right side behind red ornament. Highlight again with Ocean Blue.
- 2. For highlight shine, wet area with clean water, dab Snow White and soften with oval mop. Repeat as needed for nice glow. Use 5/0 liner to add Snow White shine line.
- 3. Use #8 shader and #1 line to base cap Emperor's Gold; shade Bronze and highlight Splendid Gold. Add Snow White shine lines.
- 1. Use #12 shader to undercoat Peony Pink. Base Berry Red; shade Napa Red along bottom and right side and highlight Peony Pink along top and left side. For ornament design, use #1 liner and brush mix of Berry Red with touch of Peony Pink and a touch of Snow White to add curl lines and strokes. (Note: Do not make mix too light; you'll want to have a tone-on-tone look.) Shade ornament again with Berry Red and highlight again with Peony Pink. Use Napa Red to shade on right side behind candle base.
- 2. For highlight shine, wet area with
clean water, dab Fiery Red and soften
with oval mop. Repeat as needed for
nice glow. Use 5/0 liner to add Snow
White shine line.
- 3. Paint cap in same manner as Blue Ornament.
- 1. Use #12 shader to base top and bottom sections Bleached Sand; base middle section True Blue. Shade Navy Blue along sides of middle section; add mopped Ocean Blue highlight to left of center. Use 5/0 liner to add Emperor's Gold stars.
- 2. Use #4 shader to base rims Snow White; use #1 liner to add True Red angled stripes. Use #8 shader to softly shade Deep Midnight Blue along lower edge of each rim. Use #1 liner to add fine Snow White horizontal highlight shine.
- 3. Use #1 liner to add Forest Green vertical stripes in upper section of
candle base; dot True Red between stripes. Add plaid lines in lower section of candle base in Forest Green and True Red.
- 4. Use glaze wash brush to very softly
shade Black Green along each side of entire candle base. Wet candle base with clean water; add back-to-back Snow White highlight just left of center. Mop to soften. Use #8 shader to very softly shade Black Green above and under each rim. Use 5/0 liner to add Snow White shine lines.
- 1. Use #12 shader to undercoat Peony Pink. Base True Red; shade Napa Red along right side and bottom, and along right side of drip. Highlight Fiery Red along front top edge and along left side under drip. Shade Napa Red inside candle hollow.
- 2. Use #4 shader and brush mix of True Red and Peony Pink to base drip. Highlight Snow White along lower curve; add fine shine line. Use #1 liner to base wick with brush mix of Burnt Umber and Black Green. Use #8 shader to softly paint flame Bright Yellow; while wet, add touch of True Red to flame base allowing colors to bleed together.
- 1. Use glaze wash and very very washy Snow White to base glass. Reinforce sides and top with very sheer Snow White float. Use mix of Antique Teal + Black Green (1:1) to softly shade just inside glass on lower left curve and lower right curve, and just below top. For glass glow, wet entire area with clean water; add back-to-back Snow White floats behind candle on left and right side and on right straight area of glass; mop to soften. Use 5/0 liner to
add fine Snow White shine lines.
Holly Leaves and Berries
- 1. For stems, use #1 liner to paint with
mix of Burnt Umber and touch of Bleached Sand.
- 2. Use #4 shader to base leaves Forest
Green; use #8 shader to shade lower
side Hauser Dk. Green and highlight
upper side Bright Green. Use 5/0 liner
and brush mix of Bright Green and
touch of Bright Yellow to paint veins.
- 3. Dot berries True Red; use #1 liner to
shade Napa Red on stem side and use #2 shader to highlight opposite side Fiery Red.
- 1. Use #1 liner to base True Red; shade
Napa Red and highlight Fiery Red.
- 1. Use Emperor's Gold and #1 liner to paint lines and strokework design on stand; paint cut edge of insert. For cut edge of base, use crumpled paper towel to dab area with Bronze, Emperor's Gold, and then Splendid Gold allowing some background color to show.
- 2. Apply three to four varnish coats.