"Poinsettia & Holly" Tray
- DecoArt Traditions Artist Acrylics:
Aquamarine, Brown Madder, Burnt
Sienna, Carbon Black, Dioxazine
Purple, English Red Oxide, Hansa
Yellow Medium, Medium Red Rose,
Naphthol AS Hue, Naphthol Red,
Quinacridone Gold, Sap Green,
Sapphire Blue, True Gold, Vermillion, Warm White, Yellow Oxide
- Brushes: FM Dynasty: Black Gold, Series 206: Chisel Blender, #4, #6, #8 OR Shader, #4, #5, #6, #8; Liner, #5/0, #10/0; Mini Script Liner, #20/0; Flat Wash, 3/4"; Decorator Collection: Mini Mop, Series 400, 5/8", 3/4"; Dry
Brush, Series 200, #6
- Small flat bristle brush
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Sealer/Finisher, Matte; Easy Float
- Oval Metal Tray (7"x10-1/2") from
"What a Blast!"
- 1. Thin paints on palette with small amount of clean water before using. Tray is pre-primed and ready for basecoating. Use stylus to add dots.
- 1. Base entire tray Carbon Black; when dry, smooth with piece of brown paper sack. Wipe clean. Print out pattern; transfer basic pattern lines onto
surface. (Transfer details as needed.)
- 1. Petal Pink Mix = Warm White + Vermillion (2:1)
- 2. Dark Red Mix = Naphthol AS Hue + Brown Madder (1:1)
- 3. Star Gold Mix = Yellow Oxide + Warm White + English Red Oxide (8:3:1)
- 4. Berry Purple Mix = Dioxazine Purple + Sapphire Blue + Warm White (2:2:1)
- 5. Medium Berry Purple Mix = Berry Purple Mix + Warm White (2:1)
- 6. Light Berry Purple Mix = Medium Berry Purple Mix + Warm White (2:1)
- 7. Small Holly Base Green Mix = Sap Green + Warm White (3:1)
- 8. Small Holly Light Green Mix = Small Holly Base Green Mix + Warm White (2:1)
- 9. Large Holly Base Green Mix = Sap Green + Hansa Yellow Medium (3:1)
- 10. Large Holly Medium Mix = Large Holly Base Green Mix + Hansa Yellow Medium (1:1)
- 11. Pine Blue Green Base Mix = Small Holly Base Green Mix + Aquamarine (3:1)
- 12. Pine Blue Green Medium Mix = Pine Blue Green Base Mix + Warm White (1:1)
- 13. Pine Blue Green Light Mix = Pine Blue Green Medium Mix + Warm White (1: scant)
- 1. Back Petals: Base Naphthol AS Hue leaving black background showing in center circle. Shade Quinacridone Gold; use Brown Madder to deepen shading and float
center vein line.
- 2. Front Petals: Base Med. Red Rose; use Naphthol Red to shade and float center vein line, and highlight with Petal
- 3. Flower Center: Use Large Holly Medium Mix to dot outer edge plus three in center. Add small Hansa Yellow Med.
highlight dots over each green dot.
- 1. Line stems Burnt Sienna. Use mini script liner and thinned Pine Blue Green Base Mix to finely line needles, pulling outward from stem; repeat using Pine Blue Green Medium Mix. Using pattern as guide, randomly dot Warm White snow dots on bough and on black background.
Large Holly Leaves
- 1. Base with Large Holly Base Mix; shade Sap Green and highlight with Large Holly Medium Mix. Lighten highlight
further with Hansa Yellow Med. Add Warm White center vein and stem lines.
Small Holly Leaves (clusters of three)
- 1. Base with Small Holly Base Green Mix; shade with Large Holly Base Green Mix and highlight with Small Holly Light Green Mix. Lighten highlight further with Pine Blue Green Light Mix. Add Warm White center vein and stem lines.
- 1. Line stems with brush mix of Burnt Sienna and Warm White. Base berries with Berry Purple Mix; shade with brush mix of Berry Purple Mix and a touch of Dioxazine Purple, and highlight with Medium Berry Purple Mix. Lighten highlight further with Light Berry Purple Mix. Add a Warm White highlight dot on each.
- 1. Base with Star Gold Mix; highlight top edge with Hansa Yellow Med.
- 1. (above/below poinsettia): Use 10/0 liner to line with Small Holly Base Green Mix; highlight with Small Holly Light Green Mix. Add tiny Warm White descending dots.
- 1. Use compass to mark a 1/4"-wide band on outer plate rim. Base solidly with Dark Red Mix; dry brush Med. Red Rose
highlight in center area at top and bottom of band.
- 1. Use True Gold and small flat bristle brush to apply color to outer edge of tray; randomly dot band at left and right sides.
- 2. Apply two to three varnish coats.
- 1. Get creative! This design can easily be reworked on a small wooden sled, pillar candle stand, napkin holder with lid, and so much more.