- DecoArt Americana Acrylics: Avocado, Avocado Dip, Black Green, Black Plum, Blue Mist, Burnt Orange, Charcoal Grey, DeLane's Dark Flesh, Desert Turquoise,
Evergreen, Heritage Brick, Honey Brown, Indian Turquoise, Jade Green, Khaki Tan, Lamp (Ebony) Black, Light Mocha, Marigold, Pansy Lavender, Royal Purple,
Russet, Soft Blue, Uniform Blue
- Brushes: Loew-Cornell: La Corneille Golden Taklon-Acrylic Handle: Shader, Series 7300C, #8, #12; Glaze/Wash, Series 7550C, 3/4", 1"; Jackie Shaw Liner, Series JSC, #1; Filbert, Series
7500C, #4, #6, #8; Round, Series 7000C, #3; Specialty: Angular Bristle, Series 244, 1/4", 1/2", 3/4"
- DecoArt DuraClear Varnish, Satin
- Homestead Clock (7-3/8"x29-1/2") from Smooth Cut Wood
- 1. Print out patterns; transfer basic ground line. (Note: Be sure to carry line over onto sides of clock.) Base sky with two coats Blue Mist and ground with two coats Avocado sanding lightly between coats. Transfer basic pattern lines. (Transfer details as needed.)
- 1. Refer to painting chart.
- 1. Base body of cottage Khaki Tan for opaque coverage. Use #4 filbert and mix of Khaki Tan + Charcoal Grey (1:1) to shade under eaves and vertically along porch extension. (Note: To add interest to surface, use small filbert to slip-slap shading and highlight colors.) Deepen shading with Charcoal Grey. Highlight with mix of Khaki Tan + Lt. Mocha (1:1); use same mix plus touch more Lt. Mocha to brighten highlight. See Photo.
- 2. Base windows, including door window, Blue Mist; use random slipslap to shade with washy Uniform Blue. Outline windows, omitting door window, Lt. Mocha.
- 3. Base roof Charcoal Grey; use Lamp
Black to diagonally shade roof along
dormer. Use chisel edge of #8 shader
and mix of Khaki Tan + Charcoal Grey
(1:1) to horizontally add shingles. Use
Lamp Black to outline and add vertical
shingle lines. Trim roof line with Lt.
- 4. Base door and chimney Heritage Brick; shade Black Plum. Highlight chimney DeLane's Dk. Flesh. Add Lamp Black doorknob and outline window Lt. Mocha. Paint awning in same manner as roof using chisel edge of brush to vertically highlight. Line awning supports Lt. Mocha.
- 1. Base body Heritage Brick for opaque
coverage. Use Black Plum to shade barn and fill in doorway and hay loft. Use Lamp Black to line barn board siding. Use DeLane's Dk. Flesh to add highlight lines on some boards. Use Khaki Tan to base roof and door trim work; slightly highlight Lt. Mocha. See Photo.
- 2. Use Honey Brown to dry brush hay bales in door and loft; highlight with mix of Honey Brown + Marigold (1:1). For tools and animal shapes, use washy mix of Uniform Blue + Charcoal Grey using round or small filbert brush. Use Khaki Tan to highlight tools and to add animal features such as ears or rooster tail. Use Lamp Black to paint tool hinges.
- 1. Use small sea sponge to apply paint
applications, allowing paint to dry
between color changes. (Note: More
shading was used on clock sides; omit clouds.)
- 2. For clouds, sponge Soft Blue; highlight with mix of Soft Blue + Blue Mist (1:1), then sponge final Lt. Mocha
- 3. For overall sky shade and accent, use Indian Turquoise to sponge light areas, Desert Turquoise for darker areas, and Uniform Blue for deepest shading.
- 1. If you desire a translucent color, wet surface first with clean water, and sponge paint on. Have another clean, damp sponge available to soften and smear color around, if desired. A large shader is useful to slip-slap color around to extend or move color, then sponge with clean, damp sponge to soften. The accent colors should never overtake main base color. If they are too bright, over wash with base color to soften. This will only add variation in color and interest.
- 1. Slip-slap area Soft Blue; highlight with
mix of Soft Blue + Blue Mist (1:1). For numbers, use round brush and washy mix of Blue Mist and Uniform Blue; outline Uniform Blue. Use #6 filbert and Avocado to one-stroke leaves; use washy Avocado for smaller leaves. Line vines with thinned mix of Avocado + Black Green (1:1).
- 1. Use mix of Avocado + Evergreen (slightly darker than Avocado basecoat) to sponge clock sides. Use same mix to float along left edge of clock front working down entire ground area and along bottom scalloped edge of clock. Use varying mix of Evergreen + Black Green to randomly sponge ground area and
then chiseling an angular bristle horizontally to darken; sponge sides
heavily. Use #12 shader and dark mix
to horizontally chisel in path. Use mix
of Khaki Tan + Charcoal Grey (1:1) to
highlight interior of path.
- 2. To highlight ground, wet area first with
clean water. (Note: Do not highlight
clock sides.) Use varying mix of Avocado + Avocado Dip working from base color to soft highlight; use small sponge or chisel edge of angular bristle
horizontally. Highlight as needed.
- 1. (Area behind cottage from horizon line upwards.) Use small sponge or 3/4" angular bristle. Use very watery Avocado near top of this area so it
blends and appears hazy against sky,
then straight down to horizon line. Add darker mix of Evergreen + Black Green to form shaded areas behind tree clumps; use darker Black Green.
- 1. Use 1/4" angular bristle to stipple tall
evergreens; first stipple with watery
Black Green, then with full strength to create variation. In same manner, stipple dark background foliage. For
flower and sunflowers, use angular bristle brush in relation to size of
foliage. For example, use 3/4" angular
bristle for tree on left side of barn, and 1/4" brush for scruffy bushes along
fence line, etc.
- 2. For vine leaves on barn and cottage, use round brush and small strokes in variations of Black Green; use Avocado for cottage, and lighter greens such as Avocado Dip and Jade Green for barn. Dot vine berries on barn with Burnt Orange and Russet.
- 1. For stalks, use either Avocado or Black Green, to show slightly, depending on background foliage. Paint sunflower head (flower center) Russet. Base petals Honey Brown; highlight a few Marigold. Add stalk leaves with Avocado, mix of Avocado + Avocado Dip, and Jade Green.
- 1. Use #4 filbert and Khaki Tan to pull
vertical posts from top down; let dry. Use liner to pull diagonal posts. Stipple greenery along bottom of fences with watery Black Green.
- 1. Use tip of liner to dab flowers for
irregular shapes. Purple flowers are
Royal Purple and Pansy Lavender, yellow flowers are Marigold, and red/orange flowers are Burnt Orange, Heritage Brick, and Russet.
- 1. Use #4 filbert and DeLane's Dk. Flesh
to base larger pumpkins; repeat with
Burnt Orange. Shade Russet and
highlight center segment with mix of
Burnt Orange + Marigold. Paint small pumpkins Russet. Paint stems Khaki Tan. Use watery Black Green to add surrounding leaves and grass blades.
Use thinned Jade Green to paint tendrils.
- 1. Base top or crown of clock Black Green; sponge with mix of Avocado + Evergreen.
- 2. Apply several varnish coats.
- 1. Since there are no design elements on clock sides other than shaded sky, shaded ground area, and background foliage, be sure to keep free of contrast. Soften (dull) horizon line if necessary with ground shading. If desired, bring elements to ground area such as flowers or pumpkins.