The Witch Is. . .In?
- DecoArt Americana Acrylics:
Baby Pink, Burnt Umber, Deep
Midnight Blue, Deep Periwinkle,
Graphite, Hauser Medium
Green, Honey Brown, Lamp
(Ebony) Black, Lemon Yellow,
Light Avocado, Light Buttermilk,
Marigold, Neutral Grey, Orange
Twist, Pansy Lavender, Payne's
Grey, Plantation Pine, Pumpkin,
Raw Sienna, Royal Fuchsia,
Royal Purple, Shale Green, True
Red, Wisteria, Yellow Ochre
- Brushes: FM Dynasty: Black Gold, Series 206: Shader, #4, #8, #10; Flat Wash, 3/4"; Script, #10/0; Angular, 1/4", 3/8"; Decorator Collection: Mini Mop, Series 400, 1/4", 1/2"
- Stencil brush, 1/4"
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic
- Screw hooks, two
- Wooden tavern sign (8-1/2"x11-1/2")
from JB Wood Products
- Banner shaped sign (#RR6536,
1"x6") from Stockade
- 1. All dry brushing is done using stencil brush. All floats and highlights are done using angular shaders; shading is softened with mop brush on water's edge.
All line work is done using script liner.
- 1. Base tavern sign Deep Midnight Blue. When dry, use sea sponge to sponge Pansy Lavender; while wet, sponge surface again with Wisteria. Wet sponge, squeeze out excess water; gently rub both colors together. Press
sponge onto background to pull some
color off exposing Deep Midnight Blue. Dry. Base outer sign edge Pumpkin; shade Marigold.
- 2. Print out patterns; transfer basic pattern lines onto tavern sign. (Transfer details as needed.)
- 1. Base hat Pansy Lavender and underside of hat Wisteria. Base stars Yellow Ochre. Base hatband Hauser Med. Green and buckle Yellow Ochre.
- 2. Shade hat Royal Purple and highlight
Wisteria. Dry brush hat Wisteria and
again lightly with Lt. Buttermilk. Shade
bottom edge of stars Honey Brown; shade again with Burnt Umber to darken. Highlight top edge of stars Lt. Buttermilk; lightly dry brush Honey Brown. Lightly stipple center of stars
Lt. Buttermilk. Shade bottom edge of hat band Plantation Pine; highlight top edge Shale Green. Shade bottom edge of buckle Lt. Buttermilk. Shade underside of hat Royal Purple along top edge and highlight Lt. Buttermilk along bottom edge. Add Lt. Buttermilk dots. Use Lamp Black to outline hat, hatband, stars, and buckle, and to add detailing.
- 1. Paint dress and stars in same manner as hat.
- 1. Base Lamp Black; highlight Neutral Grey. Outline cape Lamp Black.
Witch's Face, Arm, and Hand
- 1. Base Shale Green; shade Lt. Avocado
along bottom edge and highlight Marigold along top. Dry brush all Marigold; repeat with Lt. Buttermilk.
Shade warts Lt. Avocado. Base eyes with mix of Lemon Yellow + Lt. Buttermilk (1:1); shade Orange Twist.
- 2. Use Lamp Black to base eyebrows and to paint pupils. Use Lt. Buttermilk to highlight left side of eyes, and to add highlight dots to eyebrows and pupils. Base inside mouth Lamp Black. Base teeth Lt. Buttermilk; shade Marigold. Use Lamp Black to outline face, arm, and hands, and to add all detailing lines. Base fingernails True Red; shade Lamp Black.
Bat on Hat
- 1. Base Graphite; shade Lamp Black and highlight Neutral Grey. Base inner ears and nose Baby Pink; shade bottom edges of each Royal Fuchsia and highlight top edges of each Lt. Buttermilk. Base eyes Lamp Black; highlight Lt. Buttermilk along left side. Use Lt. Buttermilk to paint eyebrows, pupils, and fang; add cheek highlight dots. Base inside of mouth Lamp Black; add Lt. Buttermilk highlight line. Use Lamp Black to outline body, wings, ears, and eyes; add detailing lines.
- 1. Base sky area Deep Midnight Blue. Base ground area Hauser Med. Green; shade bottom edge of ground Plantation Pine and highlight top edge Shale Green. Dry brush sky Lt. Buttermilk. Line grass blades Hauser Med. Green and Shale Green.
- 2. Base pumpkin Pumpkin and stem Burnt Umber. Shade outer edges of pumpkin sections Burnt Umber. Dry brush sections Orange Twist; repeat with Marigold and then with a touch of Lt. Buttermilk at top of each section. Shade stem Raw Sienna. Line vines Lamp Black.
- 3. Base bats Lamp Black; highlight Neutral Grey. Base moon Marigold; shade Pumpkin along bottom edge and highlight Lt. Buttermilk along top. Add Lamp Black motion lines around bats.
- 4. Use Lt. Buttermilk to float highlight
along left side of crystal ball, then add highlight line. Dot stars in sky Marigold.
- 1. Base Yellow Ochre; shade Pumpkin along bottom edges and highlight Lt.
Buttermilk along top edges. Add Lt.
Buttermilk highlight lines and dots.
Paint swirl dots Yellow Ochre.
- 2. Line spider webs Lt. Buttermilk. Base spiders Lamp Black; dot Lt. Buttermilk eyes.
- 1. Shade Deep Midnight Blue behind entire witch design and lettering. Apply several finishing coats.
- 1. Base entire banner Deep Periwinkle.
Working from bottom section to top
section, base candy corns Marigold,
Pumpkin, and Lt. Buttermilk. Shade
Marigold section Pumpkin, Pumpkin
section Lt. Buttermilk, and Lt.
Buttermilk section Marigold. Use Lamp Black to outline and line, and to add motion lines. Add Lt. Buttermilk highlight shine lines along left sides.
- 2. Base lettering Lamp Black; add Lt.
Buttermilk highlight line and dots. Paint spider webs and spiders in same manner as in lettering for plaque. Use Deep Periwinkle to shade behind lettering and candy corns. Shade Payne's Grey along outer edges of banner.