Startling Halloween Chess Set
- Plaid FolkArt: Acrylics: Baby Pink,
Dove Gray, Engine Red, Fresh
Foliage, Green, Licorice, Medium
Gray, Medium Orange, Pink, Purple
Lilac, School Bus Yellow, Shamrock,
Teddy Bear Brown, Terra Cotta,
Violet Pansy, Winter White;
Enamels: Licorice, Pure Orange,
- Brushes: FM Dynasty: Black Gold, Series 206: Round, #4; Liner, #10/0; Long Handle: Flats, Series 1526F, #2, #4, #8, #10, #12
- Plaid FolkArt Outdoor Sealer, gloss
- Black chenille stem, 4"-length
- Black annealed wire, 30"-length
- Gold metallic paper or cardstock,
- Black felt, 1-3/4"x3-1/2", two
- Embroidery floss: black, 12";
- Black screws, 1/16"-wide, 1/2"-long, two
- Square Wood Tray with Ceramic Tile
(TH5529, 12-3/4" tile) from Maryland China
- Chess piece items from Bear
With Us: King Spider: Large Split
Ladybug (1607), Dragonfly Brass
Charm (BC55); King Pumpkin: Plain
Crabapple (0961); Queen Witch:
Small Round Coney (1293); Queen
Cat: Small Turned Angel Body
(1077), Cat Head (1477); Ghost
- Bishops: Small Ghost (1461, two),
Thimble (1060, two); Frankenstein
Bishops: Small Split Pear (0970,
two); Bat Knights: Small Bat (2403,
two), Small Candle Cup (0312.4,
two); Dracula Knights: Large Little
People (0979, two); Tower Rooks:
Medium Lighthouse (1338, two);
Spider Rooks: Medium Split
Ladybug (1608, two), Small Candle
Cup (0312.4, two); Candy Corn
Pawns: Small Cone (1298, eight);
Tombstone Pawns: Slate Cutout
(1479, eight); Wooden Nickel Disc
- Pigma black permanent micron
- Drill with 1/16" bit
- Fast drying white glue
- X-acto knife
- Household sponge, 1" square
- 1. Lightly sand wood items; wipe dust.
Print patterns. Basecoat items as instructed. Transfer basic pattern lines. (Transfer details as needed.)
- 1. Use appropriate size flat for
designated area unless otherwise
instructed. Use stylus to add dots. Use acrylic paints for all wooden items and enamels for ceramic tile.
- 1. Base body Licorice; highlight Purple
Lilac between head and body. Use
round brush and Winter White to paint eyes; line eyebrows. Dot pupils
- 2. Apply varnish. Drill three leg holes on
each side of body. For legs, cut six
3" lengths from wire. Glue and insert
legs into holes; bend into shape. Glue
dragonfly to top of spider.
- 1. Base crabapple and one disc Med.
Orange; shade pumpkin sections Terra Cotta. Dot eyes Licorice and line
eyebrows and mouth. Dot nose Pink. Use liner to paint teeth Winter White; outline Terra Cotta.
- 2. Glue disc to bottom of pumpkin. Apply varnish. For crown, cut points, 5/8" apart, along one long edge of gold
metallic paper. Overlap short ends of crown 7/8" and glue together. Glue crown to top of pumpkin.
- 1. Use Fresh Foliage to base face and dress area; shade Shamrock. Use Licorice to base hat, hat brim, and cape; highlight Winter White. Base hatband Purple Lilac; shade Violet Pansy. Add a Winter White vertical reflection line on hatband off-center.
Use Licorice to line hair; dot eyes, and
line eyebrows and mouth. Dot nose
Shamrock and cheeks Baby Pink. Add
Winter White tooth; shade Shamrock
- 2. Apply varnish. Cut 3" length from
embroidery floss; tie into bow and
glue to "neck".
- 1. Use Licorice to base cat head, body,
and one disc; use Purple Lilac to
highlight head edges and to paint inner ears. Paint eyes Winter White. Use Med. Gray to line eyebrows and mouth; paint teeth Winter White. Paint nose Pink and dot cheeks Baby Pink. Add tiny Licorice pupil dots. Line whiskers Med. Gray.
- 2. Use X-acto knife to carefully trim a flat section from head area of body; glue cat head onto flat area. Glue disc to bottom of body. Varnish. For tail, drill hole at back bottom of body. Glue and insert chenille stem into hole; bend to shape. Tie orange embroidery floss into bow and glue to top of head; trim ends.
- 1. Base ghost Winter White; shade Dove Gray. Use Licorice and straight pin to
dot eyes; line eyebrows and mouth. Use straight pin to dot Baby Pink cheeks. Paint thimble Med. Orange. Paint two 1/4"-wide Licorice bands. Dot top band Fresh Foliage and add vertical Purple Lilac pinstripes on bottom band.
- 2. Glue ghost to top of thimble. Varnish.
- 1. Use Fresh Foliage to base face area on split pear; paint hair Licorice. Use
Violet Pansy to base 1/4"-wide bottom
band; highlight Purple Lilac. Line Dove
Gray streaks in hair. Use Licorice to
dot eyes; line eyebrows and mouth. Dot nose Purple Lilac and cheeks Baby Pink. Base one disc Violet Pansy; highlight Purple Lilac.
- 2. Glue disc to bottom of head. Varnish.
Screw "neck bolt" screws to each side of head.
- 1. Base bat Licorice. Use Purple Lilac to shade face edges and outer wing edges; line inner ears. Use Winter White to paint eyes; line eyebrows, mouth and paint teeth. Dot pupils Licorice and cheeks Pink. Paint three 3/16"-wide bands on candle cup in following colors: Fresh Foliage, Med. Orange, and Purple Lilac. Paint rim Licorice.
- 2. Glue bat onto candle cup. Varnish.
- 1. Use round brush and Purple Lilac to base face, ears, and back of neck; shade Violet Pansy. Use Licorice to paint hair, body, and one disc; line
eyebrows and mouth, and use straight
pin dot eyes. Paint teeth Winter White.
Use straight pin to dot Violet Pansy
- 2. Glue disc to bottom of body. Varnish.
For cape, use two strands black floss
to run gathering stitch along one long
felt edge; gather and tie floss ends
into a bow. Trim floss ends.
- 1. Base entire piece Med. Gray; sponge Dove Gray over top allowing basecoat
to show through. Use Licorice to base lookout window (under roof) and tower windows; add mortar lines. Add Dove Gray window lines in lookout window. Use liner to paint Winter White ghosts; dot tiny Licorice eyes. Use liner to paint Fresh Foliage vines and leaves; shade Green and highlight School Bus Yellow. Outline leaves Licorice. Varnish.
- 1. Use Licorice to base split ladybug,
candle cup, and one disc. Paint eyes
Winter White and line eyebrows Dove
Gray. Use straight pin to dot Engine
- 2. Glue candle cup to center of disc and
spider to top of candle cup. Varnish.
Drill three leg holes on each side of
spider. For legs, cut six 1-1/2" lengths
from wire. Glue and insert legs into
holes; bend into shape.
Candy Corn Pawns
- 1. Base entire cone Winter White. Paint
bottom 3/8"-wide section School Bus
Yellow and middle 3/4"-wide section Med. Orange. Use Licorice to dot eyes; line eyebrows and mouth. Dot cheeks Pink. Varnish.
- 1. For tombstones, base slate cutout Dove Gray; shade Med. Gray and highlight Winter White. For grass, base remaining eight discs Fresh Foliage; shade Green.
- 2. (Optional: Substitute discs for slate cutouts, if desired for "grass".) For flowers, dot five Med. Orange flower petals and Licorice flower center; repeat for two flowers at front and one at left back of grass. Use marker to add tombstone names (e.g.: Bat T. Foru; Bats N. Y'Belfry; Sam E. Terry; Bag O'Bones; Witt Chee Poo; Bo Nee; Skell E. Tonn; Frank N. Stein). Let dry at least 30 minutes.
- 3. Glue tombstone to disc. Varnish.
- 1. Tile: Use ruler to draw 1-3/8"-wide
vertical and horizontal lines for a
total of 64 squares. Paint alternating
squares in Licorice and Pure Orange.
Use liner to paint Licorice spider web and spider in opposite orange corners. Dot eyes Warm White; add highlight line along left side of body.
- 2. Tray: Base candy corn tip Winter White, center Med. Orange, and bottom School Bus Yellow. Shade Terra Cotta along entire bottom edge of candy corn; add Winter White highlight line along top. Shade Teddy Bear Brown on tray under candy corn.
- 3. Base ghost Winter White; shade Med. Gray. Use Licorice to dot eyes; line
eyebrows and mouth. Dot cheeks Baby Pink. Shade Teddy Bear Brown on tray under ghost.
- 4. Paint 3/4"x1-1/4" rectangles in following colors: Purple Lilac, Licorice, Fresh Foliage, Violet Pansy. Dot each in desired color.
- 5. Apply varnish to tray area only.