Puppy Prints & Floral Hints
- DecoArt Americana Acrylics:
Bleached Sand, Blue Mist, Bright
Orange, Country Blue, Desert
Turquoise, Dioxazine Purple, Hauser
Light Green, Marigold, Snow
(Titanium) White, Traditional Burnt
Umber, Wedgewood Blue
- Brushes: Scharff Golden Taklon, Syn-Sable: Flat, Series 140, #2, #12, #20; Script Liner, Series 482, #2; Filbert, Series 429, #8
- Brushes: Prudy's Best Brushes: Floater, Pouncer, Liner
- DecoArt Texture Terra Cotta: Deep
- All-purpose sealer
- Water-based varnish of choice,
matte or satin
- Treat Box (#90075, 21"x9-1/2"x5")
from JB Wood Products
- Frames with three panels (#1728,
23"x10") from Turns in Time, Ltd.
- Optional: Acetate or polyester sheet; X-acto knife
- 1. Fill holes with wood filler if needed.
Sand and seal. Remove lid from box. Use painter's tape to tape off a 2" border along bottom of box and along bottom of box backsplash, and tape off a 1" border along bottom of frame. Use #20 flat and mix of Blue Mist + Snow White (1:1) to base all surfaces omitting borders. Remove tape and base borders Bleached Sand.
- 2. Print out patterns; transfer basic pattern lines on box. Use photo as guide to transfer flowers on frame as shown. (Transfer details as needed.)
- 3. Lightly pencil two equal distant
horizontal lines on box borders and one horizontal line through center of frame border. Use #12 flat and Hauser Lt. Green to paint checks spacing evenly apart; use Prudy's floater to shade Wedgewood Blue along left and bottom edges. Use script liner and thinned Wedgewood Blue to double line squares.
- 1. Refer to Painting Chart.
- 1. Use #2 flat and Snow White to paint
short "petal" strokes on four opposite
sides (see painting chart); fill in remaining petals. Use pouncer to pat Marigold flower center. Side-load dirty brush with Bright Orange to pat shading across bottom; add a touch of
Traditional Burnt Umber along bottom
of Bright Orange. Use #2 flat to add
a Snow White highlight shine at 2:00.
Use stylus to add Traditional Burnt
Umber dots around flower center.
- 1. Use filbert and Desert Turquoise to base each petal in two strokes to resemble heart shape; shade Wedgewood Blue along base. Use pouncer to pat Country Blue for flower center. Side-load dirty brish with Dioxazine Purple to pat shading across bottom. Use Bleached Sand and large end of stylus to add dots around flower center; use #2 flat to add highlight shine at 2:00.
- 1. Use Prudy's floater to base petals
Marigold. Use Prudy's liner to paint
Snow White circle dots. Shade Bright
Orange behind center petal on each
side of petal. Deepen with tiny float of
Burnt Umber if desired. Line stamen
Snow White; stroke ends Marigold.
Leaves, Stems, and Scroll Lines
- 1. Use Hauser Lt. Green and to base stems, scroll lines, and leaves; shade stems and leaves Wedgewood Blue. Use script liner and Wedgewood Blue to add vein leaves and to line scrolls.
Optional Puppy Prints
- 1. For stencil, transfer paw prints onto
acetate or polyester sheet; carefully
cut out with X-acto knife. Use palette
knife to scrape Texture Terra Cotta over
stencil. Repeat to form a paw print path. Let dry. Float Bleach Sand highlights. Roughly float Wedgewood Blue behind prints for shadows. Glue dog treat (or kitty treat) at top of backsplash.
- 1. Apply several varnish coats.