The Charmer Fish Rack
- DecoArt Americana Acrylics:
Avocado, Berry Red, Black Green,
Blue Chiffon, Burnt Sienna, Burnt
Umber, Graphite, Grey Sky, Hauser
Dark Green, Hauser Light Green,
Hauser Medium Green, Jade Green,
Lamp (Ebony) Black, Light Avocado,
Light Buttermilk, Neutral Grey, Raw
Sienna, Sand, Silver Sage Green,
Snow (Titanium) White, Spa Blue
- Brushes: Royal & Langnickel:
Royal Fusion: Shader, Series R3150,
#4, #12; Glaze/Wash, Series R3700,
3/4", 1"; Liner, Series 3595, #10/0, #1, #2; Round, Series R3250, #3; Royal Sable: Short Round, Series L5005, #16
- DecoArt Americana Wood Sealer
- Krylon varnish, matte
- Rod holder from Coyote Woodworks
- 1. Sand and seal surface. If needed, sand lightly again. Print out pattern; transfer oval outline onto back panel.
- 2. Base entire surface excluding oval
Burnt Sienna. Base oval Blue Chiffon.
Measure and draw a horizontal line
1-1/4" from top back panel; continue
same until you've reached bottom
of panel. Use 3/4" glaze/wash brush
to float Burnt Umber along bottom of each line; use chisel edge to pull wood grain lines. Float Burnt Umber around outer edges of oval and along sides of back panel. Use Burnt Umber to spatter top and side panels. Base cut edges Black Green.
- 3. Transfer basic pattern lines onto oval.
(Transfer details as needed.)
- 1. Use 1" glaze/wash and Spa Blue to float behind large elements of design and around outer edge of oval. Randomly slip-slap Spa Blue across oval.
- 1. Base Graphite. Shade Lamp Black along bottom; use chisel edge to pull "indentations". Float Neutral Grey
along top edge of logs; brighten with
a hit and miss float of Grey Sky.
- 1. Refer to Painting Chart.
- 2. Step 1: Base Lt. Avocado; shade
Avocado along back (top edge) and
around tail; walk down about halfway.
- 3. Step 2: Use 3/4" glaze/wash to float Lt.
Buttermilk along belly; brighten with
Snow White keeping float smaller. Use
#16 short round to dry brush Jade Green horizontally across center of fish. Base all fins, excluding tail fin, Silver Sage Green. Use Black Green
to tap in body markings. Float Black
Green along top of fish continuing
around tail, behind gills, on left side of mouth, and along back of tail fin. Use 10/0 liner to pull Black Green lines
in tail fin. Float Snow White highlight
on all fins and gills; use 10/0 liner to
pull lines on each. Float Graphite at
base of top fins, to separate fins on
underside of body, to separate fin near tail, and under fin behind gill.
- 4. Step 3: Use #3 round to add large Snow White stroke beside mouth. Base eye Raw Sienna; paint pupil Lamp Black. Add Snow White highlights.
- 1. Base entire lure Sand. Transfer
details. Base stripes and top of lure
Berry Red. Float Raw Sienna along
both sides and end of lure. Dry brush
Snow White highlight on light stripes
only. Base propellers, hook, and other hardware Grey Sky. Highlight propeller and hook Snow White; use #1 liner to highlight straight areas of hook. Use #1 liner and Blue Chiffon to paint fishing line. Shade Burnt Umber behind lure on painted wood background only.
- 1. Double-load #4 shader with any two of the Hauser Green colors; continue to use these colors, double-loaded to pull in weeds. Do not clean brush. Use #1 liner to paint stems Burnt Sienna. Use #4 shader to randomly float Black Green shades on leaves. Add Burnt Sienna tints.
- 1. Use #2 liner to outline oval (separating
blue from brown) Lamp Black.
- 2. Apply several varnish coats.