Personalized Pub Stuff
- DecoArt Americana Acrylics:
Antique Gold, Antique Maroon,
Bahama Blue, Burnt Umber, Desert
Sand, Desert Turquoise, Forest
Green, Golden Straw, Hauser Dark
Green, Heritage Brick, Raw Sienna,
Sand, Snow (Titanium) White
- Brushes: Royal & Langnickel Aqualon: Round, Series 2250, #1, #3; Liner, Series R2595, #10/0; Shader, Series R2150, #4, #6, #8, #10, #12; Angular, Series R2160, 1/8", 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 5/8"
- DecoArt Americana: Acrylic Multi-
Purpose Sealer; Acrylic Sealer/
- Scoop plate clock (#2603) from
Turns in Time, Ltd.
- Clock hands (#27284, 6"), Quarts
Clock Movement (#TQ700P, 3/4"
shaft), and Wooden Clock Numbers
(#27475) from Walnut Hollow
- Lamp Base (#M-146) from Creative
- Lamp kit (#GJ128) available through
Factory Direct Craft
- Lamp shade of choice
- Wood bar stool of choice
- Black permanent micron pen, .01
- Pin striping tape, 1/4"-wide
- Computer with Microsoft Office
Word 2007 (or similar program) and
- 1. Personalized lettering on beer bottles was free-handed. Personalized lettering on lamp base was done using WordArt, Algerian font, WordArt Style #1/cascade up option, and enlarged on copy machine to fit area. Personalized lettering on stool was done using WordArt, Harrington font, WordArt Style arch up/arch down, and enlarged on copy machine to fit. If arched lettering does not line up to match curve of green area, you will need to jockey each letter to fit arch. (Tip: To make tracing of lettering, cut a piece of tracing paper a bit smaller than a standard sheet of copy paper; tape tracing paper onto one short end of copy
paper. Run papers through copy machine copying lettering onto tracing paper. Remove copy paper and use tracing paper to correctly position lettering.) Find center of each phrase by folding tracing in half; begin transferring center-most letter. Lift tracing and tilt slightly to make each letter fit arch.
- 1. Print out patterns.
- 2. Apply sealer to all wood surfaces. Use Desert Sand to base recessed panel of lamp base front, stool seat, stool support bars, and clock. Use Forest Green to base remaining areas of lamp base and stool legs. Transfer center rectangle onto lamp base front, and center circle onto stool seat and clock front; base areas Forest Green. Use pin striping tape to tape off border around top of lamp base and around green rectangle; paint borders Antique Maroon. Remove tape immediately. (Note: Use chisel edge of damp shader to wipe paint bleeds if needed. Dried paint can be removed with rubbing alcohol or hand
- 3. Transfer basic pattern lines. (Transfer
details as needed.) Use liner and
Antique Maroon to paint pinstripe on
clock and stool.
- 4. Use 5/8" angular to float Raw Sienna
along outer-most edges of Desert Sand areas. Use thinned Raw Sienna to spatter Desert Sand areas only. Float Hauser Dk. Green along outer edges of Forest Green areas.
Block Lettering On Clock and Lamp
- 1. Use appropriate sized brushes and
Antique Gold to base letters. Use Raw Sienna to shade top and bottom thirds of each letter. Use Desert Sand and Antique Maroon to paint pinstripes. Use Desert Turquoise to paint drop shadows.
- 1. Use #10 shader to base Antique Gold.
Use 3/8" angular to shade Raw Sienna;
deepen with ultra-sheer Antique Maroon. Highlight Golden Straw. Line pinstripe Antique Maroon. Use #1 round and Desert Turquoise to base lettering; highlight Bahama Blue. Add tiny Snow White highlight lines. Use #6 shader and touch of Sand to dry brush additional highlights on banner.
- 1. Use liner and Raw Sienna to base stems and tie; dry brush touch of Golden Straw highlights. Doubleload #1 round with Raw Sienna and Antique Gold; stroke wheat kernels and leaves; dry brush touch of Golden Straw highlights on kernels. Use liner and thinned Raw Sienna to paint wheat hairs.
Stool Mug and Lettering
- 1. Use 5/8" angular to shade Hauser Dk.
Green behind mug design. Use #6 shader and touch of Bahama Blue to dry brush shading on mug bottom and handle; use Snow White to dry brush highlights. Use #12 shader and Snow White to undercoat beer area and foam for opaque coverage.
Use thinned Antique Gold to wash beer area; use 1/2" angular to shade Raw Sienna then use sheer Antique Maroon to deepen shading. Use 3/8" angular to shade foam Bahama Blue; use #6 shader to dry brush touches of Snow White reflected highlights. For sweat drips, float sheer Snow White highlight inside drip (refer to worksheet); use 1/8" angular to shade sheer Raw Sienna. Use liner to add tiny Snow White reflected highlights. Line lettering Golden Straw.
- 1. Refer to worksheet. Use 5/8" angular to shade Hauser Dk. Green behind bottles. Base bottles Antique Gold for opaque coverage (Fig. 1). Use 1/2" angular and sheer Heritage Brick to float first shading; be sure to walk shading out on widest section of bottle so one-third of
each side is washed with color (Fig.
2). Use sheer Burnt Umber to float
second shading. Use #1 round and Burnt Umber to paint base (Fig. 2). Transfer basic label outlines. Base large bottle label Sand; shade sheer Raw Sienna. Base neck label and text labels Bahama Blue; shade Desert Turquoise; dry brush Snow White highlight (Fig. 4).
- 2. Use liner to add Hauser Dk. Green pinstripes on neck and bottle labels. Use mix of Forest Green + Snow White (2:1) to base large bottle label on center bottle; shade Forest Green. Use
liner and Antique Maroon to paint
lettering on neck label (Fig. 4); use touch of Antique Gold to dry brush
highlights (Fig. 5).
- 3. Use Forest Green to base "Light" on
far left bottle; add Desert Turquoise
drop shadow (Fig. 5). Use Golden Straw to base "Draft" on center label. Use Forest Green to base "KING" and "BEERS" on far right bottle; base "OF" Desert Turquoise. Use micron pen to add lettering in small text boxes; write "genuine" and outline "Draft" on center bottle. Double-load #1 round with Bahama Blue and Desert Turquoise; underline "Light" and "genuine". Use #6 shader and Snow White to dry brush reflection highlights on bottles (Fig. 5). Use 3/8" angular and sheer Burnt Umber to shade behind center bottle on left and right bottles.
- 4. For drips, float sheer Snow White inside drip. For drips on green background, use 1/8" angular to shade
sheer Hauser Dk. Green. For drips on bottles, shade Burnt Umber. Use liner to add tiny Snow White reflected highlights.
- 5. Base bottle caps Golden Straw (Fig. 3); shade Raw Sienna along left and right sides and use #1 round to dry brush shading on ripples (Fig. 4). Use Sand to dry brush highlights on ripples; float highlight along top of caps (Fig. 5).
- 1. Use Forest Green to paint top surface
only. Dry. Sand lightly and add a light
- 1. Use wood glue to adhere clock numbers. Spray all painted surfaces with several light sealer coats.
- 2. Follow manufacturer's directions to
attach lamp kit to lamp base; attach
lamp shade. Follow manufacturer's
directions to attach clock mechanism