- DecoArt Americana Acrylics: Baby
Blue, Burnt Umber, Country Blue,
Desert Sand, Driftwood, Flesh Tone, Hauser Light Green, Light
Avocado, Medium Flesh, Milk
Chocolate, Ocean Blue, Prussian
Blue, Sable Brown, Sand, Sea
Breeze, Snow (Titanium) White,
Terra Cotta, Warm White
- Royal & Langnickel: Sofia, Series 5555: Shader, #4, #8; Liner, #1; Wash, 1/2", 3/4"; Signature Series: Debbie's Texture Touch Deerfoot, Medium
- Minwax Polycrylic Acrylic Varnish,
- Candle Holder with Insert (#20-11121) from Viking Woodcrafts
- Stretchy tape, 1/4"-wide (or auto
- 1. Base insert front and candleholder
base Warm White; sand lightly. Print out pattern; transfer basic pattern lines. (Transfer details as needed.)
- 2. Use 1/4" tape to tape off window muntin bars. (Note: In lieu of 1/4"-wide tape, carefully cut painter's tape to 1/4"-width.) Use 1"-wide painter's tape to tape off sides and bottom of window.
(Note: Curved top of window will need
to be carefully painted around and
basecoated again with Warm White if
needed after sky is complete.)
- 1. Slightly dampen 3/4" wash; side-load
Baby Blue and basecoat from top of sky down to horizon. While wet, work in a touch of Sea Breeze at horizon line, blending well into basecoat. Heavily load 1/2" wash with Snow White; use corner of brush to sideload float rounded clouds, letting color blend and fade along bottom edge of clouds.
- 1. Use 1/2" wash to base one coat Baby
Blue. Shade Ocean Blue along left side, horizontally streaking color into water. Repeat shading with narrower side-load float of Prussian Blue, again
horizontally streaking color into water.
- 1. Use 1/2" wash and one coat Desert Sand to base sand area back to edge of window frame; shade Sable Brown behind shells and along outer edges. Use slightly dampened deerfoot to softly stipple Lt. Avocado grass along outer right side of sand; lightly stipple Sea Breeze highlights. Highlight strong Sand along shore edges.
- 2. Heavily side-load 1/2" wash with Snow
White; float choppy shore waves along
right edge of water. Add an additional
layer of choppy side-loaded floats to
left of shore; streak a few horizontal
areas thru middle area of water.
- 1. Use liner and thinned Milk Chocolate
to pull thin trunk and branch lines.
Use slightly dampened deerfoot to very softly stipple Lt. Avocado tree foliage, allowing quite a bit of background color to show through. Very softly stipple Hauser Lt. Green highlights.
- 2. Use 1/2" wash and Prussian Blue to shade outer edges of sky and over tree in sky area.
- 1. Remove tape. Use 1/2" shader and
Driftwood to shade separating window frame and muntin sections. Use thinned Driftwood to add woodgraining lines. Use Snow White to highlight center area of horizontal muntin bars, top of window frame, along inside window frame edges, and front edge of window sill. Shade Sable Brown on window sill behind
- 1. Refer to Painting Step Chart.
- 2. Use #8 shader to base Med. Flesh; shade arms Terra Cotta and use Flesh Tone to highlight several edges and middle area. Dampen starfish with clean water; use tip of liner to dab Terra Cotta texture dots over shaded areas and Flesh Tone over highlighted areas. Let dry. Dampen center area with clean water and use mix of Flesh Tone + tch. of Snow White to add additional highlight. Reinforce first shade and highlight areas with additional side-load floats.
- 1. Base Warm White. Sparingly cornerload
#4 shader with Sable Brown and very softly shade to separate scalloped sections: shade to right of center scallop then work to right and shade to right of scallops; shade to left of center scallop then work to left and shade to left of scallops. Use Snow White to highlight opposite sides of scallops; highlight along both sides of center scallop. Use thinned Country Blue and #4 shader for wide stripe and liner for thin stripe detailing. Repeat scallop shading and highlighting. Use liner to add strong Snow White highlight
lines along top of scallops.
- 1. Base Sand. Use #8 shader to softly
shade Sable Brown separating areas of shell and around lower curve. Use mix of Sand + tch. of Snow White to highlight top curves. Use liner and thinned Burnt Umber to add detailing.
Repeat shading with Milk Chocolate;
deepen center circle with Burnt Umber. Deepen highlight with mix of Snow White + tch. of Sand.
- 2. Sparingly side-load 3/4" wash with Sable Brown and softly shade to separate shells; shade starfish behind
scalloped shell and shade scalloped
shell behind curled shell.
- 1. Apply two varnish coats allowing to dry 24 hours between coats. Use fine sanding pad to lightly sand surface.
Apply another varnish coat.