- JoSonja: Artists Colors: Prussian Blue, Raw Sienna, Turners Yellow, Ultra Blue Deep, Warm White;
Background Colors: Primrose
- FM Dynasty: Black Gold, Series 206: Shader, #10; Round, #1; Oval Wash, 1"; Liner, #1; Decorator Collection: Dry Brush, Series 200, #6; Dome Duster
- JoSonja Artist Mediums: Clear
Glaze; Retarder & Antiquing; All
- Frescolina Texture Medium
- Pear plaque (#P195), 6"x16" from
- 1. Use palette knife to spread Frescolina
over center design area. (Note: Refer
to Fig. 1 to determine texture amount.)
Let dry overnight or use hair dryer to
speed drying time. (Note: Frescolina
will often crackle as it dries; this does not harm the integrity of the medium, but it does give another level of texture.)
- 2. Base design area Primrose. Dry. Apply top coat of glazing medium. Air or force dry. Apply thin retarder layer over design area. Visually divide
design area into three sections; brush
Raw Sienna on left third, Ultra Blue
Deep in middle, and Prussian Blue on right third. Wipe back with shop towel starting at left and working right. (Note: Background should have three olor values from light, to medium, to dark. If light value needs to be lighter, dip shop towel in retarder and gently rub paint.)
- 3. Print out pattern; transfer basic pattern lines. (Transfer details as needed.)
- 1. Base pears Turners Yellow (Fig. 2). Apply thin retarder layer over design
area. Apply a little more Prussian
Blue over right third of design area;
wipe back with shop towel working from right to left and over pears giving pears a slight green cast. Dry brush Turners Yellow over left half of each pear to intensify yellow and to create highlight. Use dirty brush and a little Warm White to dry brush brightest highlights spots. Apply thin retarder layer over pears. Shade pears Prussian Blue; pounce dome duster over shaded area to soften and blend. Wet shader with glazing medium; pick up a little Raw Sienna and lightly brush bottom right of full pears to create yellow cast or reflected light (Fig. 3).
- 2. Use brush mix of Raw Sienna and Prussian Blue to dry brush cast shadows on background at bottom right of pears.
- 3. Base stems with brush mix of Ultra Blue Deep and Raw Sienna; add touches of Turners Yellow highlight along left side, then brighten with mix of Turners Yellow + Warm White.
- 4. Wrap shop towel around index finger;
dip into retarder and wipe away light
on "table"; make highlight wider to left
of pears and just a skinny line to right
- 1. Use Prussian Blue to paint border and sides, making sure to get plenty of paint in carved lettering. Use clean
dry dome duster and mix of Raw Sienna + Ultra Blue Deep (1:1) to dry brush border and sides; using dirty brush, repeat with Turners Yellow and then Warm White. Load liner with retarder and Prussian Blue; paint groove around center design area; rub finger over top of groove to remove excess paint. Repeat if needed to darken groove.
- 1. Let cure several days. Apply one coat
glazing medium as barrier. Let dry.
Apply two to three varnish coats.