Family Favorites Recipe Book
- DecoArt Americana Acrylics:
Antique Teal, Berry Red, Bleached
Sand, Blue Haze, Burnt Sienna, Burnt Umber, Colonial Green, Cool Neutral, Cool White, Dark Chocolate, Desert Sand, Fawn, Light Buttermilk, Hauser Medium
Green, Melon, Milk Chocolate,
Payne's Grey, Sable Brown, Slate
Grey, Snow (Titanium) White, Spa
Blue, Traditional Raw Sienna
- Royal & Langnickel Aqualon: Glaze
Wash, Series R2700, 1/2", 3/4";
Shader, Series R2150, #8, #12;
Liner, Series R2595, #5/0, #0, #1;
Script Liner, Series R2585, #0
- Acrylic varnish of choice, satin
- 1. Base front of book with one coat Bleached Sand. Base back, spine, and 1" of front cover Spa Blue. (Note: If desired, change blue to match bride's kitchen colors.)
- 2. Print out pattern; transfer basic pattern lines. (Transfer details as needed.)
Background Shadows and Tints
- 1. Use 3/4" shader to softly shade Sable
Brown behind all objects. Dampen upper right corner of book with clean water; lightly skim Spa Blue in corner for just a hint of color, then soften with mop brush.
- 1. Use 3/4" shader to base with one thin
coat Sable Brown. Use script liner to
add Burnt Umber wood graining lines.
Use 3/4" shader to shade Burnt Umber
along top edge of shelf under line, and
along cloth edge.
- 1. Use 1/2" shader to base Cool White. Use Cool Neutral to shade under objects and under shelf line. Use Snow White to highlight above line and along outer curved edges. For eyelet holes, use Sable Brown to line and dot. Use 5/0 liner and Snow White to add fine highlight lines on left side of dots and lines; outline curved edge and add picot dots.
- 1. Use #12 shader to base spatula rubber Cool White; shade with brush mix of Cool Neutral and Sable Brown, and highlight Snow White. Base handle Blue Haze; shade Antique Teal and highlight Colonial Green.
- 2. Base wood spoons Fawn; shade Milk
Chocolate and highlight Cool Neutral.
Add Milk Chocolate wood grain lines.
- 3. Use #1 liner to base whisk Slate Grey;
shade top and bottom Payne's Grey
and add Snow White highlight shine
- 4. Base canister Milk Chocolate; use 1/2"
shader and Dk. Chocolate to shade along sides, bottom, and under rim. Highlight slightly off center with back-to-back Burnt Sienna float; repeat with Traditional Raw Sienna. Base label Slate Grey; shade Payne's Grey. Add Snow White vertical highlight in line with canister's highlight. Use 5/0
liner to paint lettering Payne's Grey;
add Snow White highlight lines here
and there along label's edges. Paint
screw Payne's Grey; add Snow White
Sugar and Flour Jars
- 1. Use 1/2" shader to base jars with one
sheer coat Colonial Green; reinforce
edges with soft side-load float. Shade
right sides of jars Blue Haze. Use #0
liner and Blue Haze for lettering and
design lines on right side of jars. Use
Snow White to highlight left side of
letters; add soft highlight floats in
lower "v" of design squares on right
sides of jar. Wet jar with clean water;
add Snow White highlight in upper
right side of front and upper right side
of side, then soften with mop. Add
Snow White shine lines. Use Antique Teal to shade under lids and along left
side of right sides of jar.
- 2. Base lids Desert Sand; shade Sable Brown along each side edge. Add Sable Brown wood graining lines. Softly shade Dk. Chocolate on right side again. Use Lt. Buttermilk to highlight left side of knob and center top edge of lid.
- 1. Base Lt. Buttermilk. Use 1/2" or 3/4"
shader and mix of Sable Brown + Slate Grey (1:1) to shade along side edges and along bottom. Add Snow White back-to-back highlight float. Use above mix to shade under rim. Use #1 liner and #8 shader to add Melon stripe and checks. Shade outer stripe edges Berry Red. Add Snow White highlight shines.
- 2. Base spoon handle Fawn; shade Sable
Brown and highlight Desert Sand. Add Dk. Chocolate wood grain lines.
Basket of Strawberries
- 1. Base basket with one coat Desert Sand. Use Traditional Raw Sienna to shade along each side, under rim, behind rim flap, and along bottom of basket. Use #12 shader and brush mix of Desert Sand and Traditional Raw Sienna to paint vertical slats. Use #8 shader and lighter brush mix of Desert Sand and touch of Traditional Raw Sienna to paint horizontal weaves. Pull
Traditional Raw Sienna shade lines
from right side of each weaver, then
pull brush mix of Desert Sand and
Light Buttermilk highlight lines from
left side of each weaver. Shade basket
again with soft Burnt Sienna floats.
- 2. Base berries Melon; shade Berry Red
and highlight with brush mix of Melon
and Lt. Buttermilk. Paint seeds Berry
Red. Base hulls Hauser Med. Green.
- 1. Use 3/4" shader and mix of Burnt Umber + tch. of Payne's Grey to very softly shade canister behind bowl on left side, and on glass jar and edge of basket behind bowl on right side.
- 1. Use #0 liner and brush mix of Melon and a touch of Berry Red and Milk Chocolate to base lettering.
- 1. Use chalk pencil to mark off large
stripes spacing 2" apart. Use #8 shader and thinned Cool White to paint large stripes. Use liner to paint two Milk Chocolate stripes to left and below white stripes. Then line Melon to right and above white stripes. (Note: Change colors if desired to match bride's kitchen.)
- 2. Base ribbon with brush mix of Spa Blue and Cool White; highlight tips and upper curve of bows Cool White.
- 1. Apply one to two coats varnish.