Bazzill Black Chipboard, 12”x12”
Cold-pressed watercolor paper, 3½”x5”
My Colors Cardstock by MME: Caribbean Sea, Seafoam
Stampendous Mixed Media White Cardstock
Black corrugated cardstock, 8”x8”
Silvertone metal starfish jewelry piece
Dreamweaver by Stampendous: Paste Spreader, Palette Knife
Die-cutting machine and Stampendous Fitted Frames Set B Dies
Stampendous Cherish Dream Cling Rubber Stamp
Dreamweaver by Stampendous: Stencils: Mosaic Swirls Background, Cypress Tree, Waves Background, Nautilus; Embossing Paste: Regular White, Matte Black; Metallic F/X: Navajo Sky, Kiwi, Cocoa, Eye of the Tiger
Imagine Crafts Inkpad: VersaFine Onyx, VersaMark Watermark
Crafter’s Companion Spectrum Aqua Nature Blues Marker
Adhesives: 3M Removable Tape; Beacon Adhesives Zip Dry Paper Glue, Quick Dry Glue
This idea was originally published in our 2016 Summer issue. Subscribe today and save off newsstand prices! You’ll get ALL the projects delivered to you in six jam-packed issues per year.
1. Use sponge dauber and Onyx ink to stencil Mosaic Swirls repeatedly over large Caribbean Sea square, masking off areas as needed with sticky notes. Use heat tool to set ink. Adhere panel to chipboard base with paper glue. Adhere corrugated cardstock panel to center of inked panel background with paper glue.
2. Die cut medium Fitted Frame from Seafoam cardstock. Place Cypress Tree stencil over die cut Seafoam cardstock and adhere all four sides of stencil onto cardstock with removable tape.
3. Use palette knife to place dab of Matte Black Paste on edge of spreader. Holding rounded handle with splayed fingers, place edge of spreader with paste at edge of stencil, and pull paste across in one smooth motion. Repeat if necessary, pulling excess paste up and off of opposite edge. Place excess paste back in jar and seal. Carefully remove tape from three sides of stencil, leaving last edge as a “hinge” to lift stencil up and off; let dry. Clean stencil and spreader immediately and dry with soft cloth.
4. Position clean Cypress stencil over dry pasted tree using the “hinge” from Step 3. Daub VersaMark ink over surface through stencil. Wipe excess ink from stencil and use small paintbrush to apply Metallic F/X powders to inked surface. Adhere panel to corrugated cardstock as shown.
5. Adhere all four sides of Waves stencil on watercolor paper panel with removable tape. Use palette knife to place dab of Regular White paste on edge of spreader. Follow Step 3 to paste image and carefully remove stencil to be cleaned. While paste is still wet, use palette knife tip to dab paste on wave peaks for a more “foamy” texture as shown. Let dry. Smear Aqua markers on craft mat, use paintbrush and water to watercolor over Waves image as shown. Let dry. Adhere onto black corrugated cardstock.
6. Smear small amount of Aqua markers ink onto craft mat in blue and green shades. Place dab of Regular White paste onto mat and mix color into paste. Die cut medium Fitted Frame from Seafoam cardstock and paste-emboss Nautilus onto panel. Set aside to dry.
7. Adhere Nautilus square to corrugated black cardstock as shown. Stamp sentiment in Onyx ink on white die cut medium frame and adhere over layers as shown. Adhere metal starfish with Quick Dry adhesive.