Country Santa Canisters
size: 7" tall
- Recycled oatmeal canisters, 7” tall, two
- Patterned papers: Kisa, Sugared (Basic Grey); Dots, Red (Making Memories)
- Wool Felt (National Nonwovens): Oatmeal; Cottage Red
- Wooden knobs, 1”, two
- Americana Acrylic Paints (DecoArt): Avocado; Flesh Tone; Raw Sienna; Country Red; Lamp Black; Baby Pink
- Soft Grip paintbrushes (Royal & Langnickel): Wash/Glaze, Series 700, 4”; Round, Series 250; Debby’s Texture
- Double-sided tape, 1/4”
- Paper trimmer
- 1. Use wash/glaze brush to paint top 2-1/2" of canister Flesh Tone. Let dry. Mix equal parts Raw Sienna with water to create a wash. Brush wash over Flesh Tone areas for an antiqued look. Use round brush end to dot eyes Lamp Black. Use wash brush end to dot nose Country Red. Use textured brush to paint cheeks Baby Pink. Paint one knob Country Red and remaining knob Avocado Green.
- 2. Trim patterned papers to 2-1/2"x12". Glue papers around canister with red paper in center. (Note: If more paper is needed to completely wrap canister, cut another 2-1/2"-wide strip.) Use rubber bands to secure while drying. For green Santa, cut green patterned paper to 1"x12" and wrap around top of canister above face.
- 3. For arms, cut two 2-1/2"x3-1/2" rectangles. Place a strip of double-sided tape on edge and roll paper to create a tube. Adhere edges together with double-sided tape. Use small piece of double-sided tape placed on inside edge of one end to close off one end of tube. Repeat for remaining arm. For cuff, cut 3/8"x3" strip from Oatmeal or Cottage Red felt; glue to inside of open end. Cut mitten from corresponding felt. Repeat for remaining mitten. (Note: Stuff sleeves with tissue for added durability.
- 4. Use photo as guide to cut beard, mustache, eyebrows, hat, hat band and pom-pom from wool felt. (Note: Hat, hand band and pom-pom are for green Santa canister only.) Fringe beard and mustache by cutting 1-1/2"-long slits along edges. Use photo as guide to adhere items to canister. (Note: For fuller beard, cut two beard pieces from Oatmeal felt.)
- 5. For red Santa, cut 1"x12" strip from dots paper and adhere around top of canister above face.
- 6. Trace lid onto wrong side of green or red patterned paper; cut out 1/4" smaller circle. Adhere circle to top of lid. Glue knob to center of lid. Fill canister as desired and replace lid.