Hotel Labels ATC Album
- Cardstock: yellow; black
- White 140-lb. watercolor paper, 11”x15” sheet
- Shabby Princess Collection patterned (BoBunny Press)
- Scrap paper (for masking)
- Golden yellow eyelets, 12
- Red spiral button (Le Bouton)
- Butterscotch Waxed Binder’s Thread, 12-ply (Volcano Arts)
- Trading card sheet protectors, 9-count, four (Avery)
- Cardboard or chipboard
- Tim Holtz Hotel Labels stamp (Stampers Anonymous)
- Tim Holtz Adirondack Color Wash sprays (Ranger): Butterscotch; Terra Cotta; Denim; Eggplant
- Ink pads (Ranger): Jet Black Archival Ink; Tim Holtz Distress Ink (Ranger) in Broken China, Mustard Seed and Spiced Marmalade
- Perfect Pearls Heirloom Gold Pigment Powder (Ranger)
- Suze Weinberg Melt Art supplies (Ranger): Mold ‘n Pour; Melting Pot; Fuchsia UTEE Brightz
- Inkssentials accessories (Ranger): Mini Misters, four; Cut n Dry Foam; Heatit Craft Tool
- Rubber brayer
- Small spray bottle of water
- Measuring spoon, 1/8 tsp.
- Tapestry needle, size 20
- Artist Trading Cards
- 1. Pour 1/8 tsp. of each spray ink into a separate mister; fill with water to dilute color.
- 2. Mist watercolor paper with clean water. Spray diluted ink onto paper. Use heat tool to set color and create puddles. Overheating will cause puddle edges to brown, a great addition if you want a vintage look.
- 3. Continue spraying paper with ink, then water. Heat to set until desired coverage is achieved. Cut watercolor paper into 3"x4" cards; these will be trimmed later.
- 4. Place Hotel Labels stamp face up on work surface and brayer with Jet Black ink. Mask portion of stamp you don't wish to use on first impression with scrap paper. Place watercolor card face down on inked stamp and press with fingers for good impression. Note: Bellman image is included on each ATC to provide cohesive element for series. Repeat inking, masking and stamping until pleased with each ATC design.
- 5. Use Cut n Dry foam to sponge images with all three Distress Inks. Trim cards to 2-1/8"x3-1/8", retaining scraps for album cover.
- 6. Cut 13 each 2-1/4"x3-1/4" black cardstock pieces and 2-1/2"x3-1/2" yellow cardstock pieces. Double-mat ATCs on black and yellow cardstock.
- ATC Album
- 1. Cut each trading card sheet protector into three rows of three pockets. Gather four strips from same position on sheet protector, either all top row, all middle row, etc. for ease of assembly.
- 2. Cut two pieces of cardboard 1/8" to 1/4" larger than trading card pages for album covers, about 4"x9".
- 3. Cut 5/8"x4" piece from short end of front album cover for binding; do not discard. Trim 1/16" from short end of larger piece; discard.
- 4. Cut two 5"x10" patterned paper pieces. Adhere back album cover to center back of one sheet; miter corners and fold ends to inside. Adhere larger front cover cardboard piece to center back of remaining paper piece; miter corners and fold ends to inside.
- 5. To create binding edge, cover smaller front cover cardboard piece cut in Step 3 with contrasting paper cut to 2-1/2"x5". Fold paper in half to measure 1-1/4"x5" and place left edge of card board piece in center of fold. Miter and fold excess paper at top and bottom edges back; secure with glue. Slide and glue binding onto left end of front album cover, leaving 1/16" gap to make opening album easier.
- 6. Determine placement for four eyelets down center of binding edge; eyelets are about 1/2" from top and bottom edges and 1/2" apart. Set eyelets. Set four corresponding eyelets in same spots in back cover, setting eyelets from outside of cover; set aside back cover. Set four remaining eyelets in larger part of front cover, 1" apart and directly across from binding edge eyelets.
- 7. Cut 3-1/2"x7-3/4" and 3-1/2"x8" yellow cardstock pieces; adhere inside front and back covers, respectively, to hide paper seams and eyelet ends.
- 8. Japanese Stab Binding Technique: To create decorative binding on front cover, thread needle with 30"length of waxed thread. Visually number holes 1 and 2 on first row, then 3 and 4, and so on. Leaving 2" thread tail, insert needle up through 1 from back cover, down through 2 and back up through 1. Insert needle down through 4, up through 6, back down through 4 and up through 3. Insert needle down through 4, up through 6, down through 5 and up through 6. To finish, insert needle down through 7, up through 8 and down through 7; do not cut thread.
- 9. Punch four holes in left edges of trading card protectors to match left-hand holes in album covers. Align top cover, pages and back cover.
- 10. To finish binding: Insert needle down through bottom holes in pages and back cover. Bring needle around bottom edge of album and insert back down through hole 7. Bring needle around left edge of album and insert down through 7, then up through 5. Take needle around left edge to back and up through 5 again; insert needle down through 3, around left edge and back down into 3. Insert needle up through 1, bring around left edge and insert back up through 1. Bring thread over top edge of album and back up through 1. Insert needle down into 3, up through 5 and down through 7. Tie off beginning and ending threads inside binding.
- 11. Ink edges of one ATC Broken China; adhere to album cover. Embellish cover with leftover strips trimmed from ATCs, weaving some strips and layering others for visual interest.
- 12. Following manufacturer's instructions, create mold of button using Mold ‘n Pour. Melt UTEE in pot and pour into mold; let cool. Remove button from mold and highlight with gold pigment powder. Mist powder with water to set it. Adhere button to cover.