Retro Print Paper Trees
The Dow Chemical Company
size: 9" tall
Retro Print Paper Trees
- FOR EACH TREE:
- Styrofoam* brand foam, 6” cone (The Dow Chemical Co.)
- Yellow cardstock scrap
- Retro patterned paper, 12”x12”, two sheets
- Satin ribbon, 1/8”-wide, 10” length
- Brown acrylic paint
- Wooden items: dowel, 5/8”, 3” length; round toothpick
- Gold micro-fine glitter
- Star punch, 1”
- Paper trimmer
- Compass or circle template, 3”
- Straight pins, 124
- 1. Punch two stars from yellow cardstock. Glue shapes together with one end of toothpick sandwiched between; let dry.
- 2. Paint dowel brown; let dry.
- 3. Cut 31 strips from patterned paper, each 1/2" wide. Cut each strip into four 3" lengths for a total of 124. Fold each strip in half to measure 1-1/2" long.
- 4. Unfold strips and re-fold each one as shown in Fig. 1; gray area represents patterned side. Each "point" will measure 1-1/2" from top to bottom.
- 5. Glue 1" of dowel into center bottom of foam cone; let dry. Cut 3" circle from patterned paper; cut a hole same diameter as dowel from center. Slip paper over dowel and glue to bottom of cone.
- 6. Begin pinning paper points side by side around bottom of foam cone; position points so tips just hang over edge of cone. First row is 10 points.
- 7. Pin 10 paper points to cone for second row, offsetting points between those in first row. Continue pinning points to cone in rows of 10, offsetting points for each row, until there are eight rows. Overlap paper points just slightly as you work up cone so points will fit evenly.
- 8. Pin nine points around cone for rows 9 and 10, overlapping as needed for even fit. Pin eight points for row 11 and six points for row 12. Rows 13 and 14 will need five or six points each depending on placement. Trim paper even with top of cone.
- 9. Cut small paper circle and glue to top of cone; let dry. Cut 1/4"x6" paper strip and glue around top of cone to finish edges; clip edges as needed so paper lies flat.
- 10. Brush thin layer of glue over each side of star and sprinkle with glitter; let dry. Glue toothpick into top of cone. Knot ribbon ends to make hanger and loop around toothpick to secure.
- 1. Use a jumbo foam cone to create a coordinating centerpiece; set on small, upside-down glass or jar for base.
- 2. Some other papers to try: holly or pine print; metallic solids; lace and floral print; black and white graphics; etc.