Liquid Dye Hanukkah Greetings
sizes: Hannukah star, 5"x6-1/2"; menorah and dreidels, 4-1/4"x5-1/2"
Chanukah Star Card
Menorah & Dreidels Card
- White cardstock
- Watercolor paper, 90 lb.
- White paper blossom (Prima)
- Smooth Clear Gemstones (Hero Arts)
- Rit Royal Blue Liquid Dye (Rit Dye)
- Batik-EZ Resist Medium (Crafter’s Pick)
- Stamps: Round Star (1108F Zum Gali Gali); Dreidel and floral Star of David (American Art Stamps); Happy Chanukah sentiment (Limited Edition Rubber Stamps); Menorah (J54 DeNami Designs)
- Ink pads: clear embossing; black dye
- Embossing powder: white; Lapis Lazuli (JudiKins)
- Anti-static embossing bag
- Heat tool
- Small paintbrush, foam brush or sponge
- Disposable plastic or foam plate or tray
- Foam tape
- Blue Sharpie marker (Sanford)
- Optional: Microwave oven, Rubber gloves, Tweezers
- 1. Make white side-fold card base. Protect work area with newspaper or plastic. Designer Tip: When creating background paper, dye the largest sheet that will fit in your microwave and you'll have plenty for other projects.
- Chanukah Star
- 1. Pour puddle of dye onto plastic plate. Tear a piece of watercolor paper to a size that will fit front of card and place into dye, moving paper around until completely covered. Use brush or sponge for more opaque coverage.
- 2. Let paper sit a few minutes as dye dries to create subtle texture. Another way to create texture is to flip paper over in dye or dab with sponge or paper towel.
- 3. Line bottom of microwave oven with paper towels. Remove paper from dye to paper towels and microwave on high for 1-2 minutes. Paper may also be dried with heat tool. Remove paper and let dry. If paper curls, flatten under heavy object or iron to flatten.
- 4. Rub anti-static bag over dry, dyed paper. Stamp clear star and heat emboss with white powder. Adhere dyed paper to front of card. Stamp black sentiment at lower left.
- 5. Adhere white flower to upper left corner. Color adhesive gem with blue marker and adhere to flower center.
- Menorah and Dreidels
- 1. Brush resist medium onto round star stamp and stamp repeatedly over half-sheet of water color paper, brushing on more medium after each impression. Wash stamp immediately. Let dry or dry with heat tool.
- 2. Pour small amount of dye onto plastic plate and use brush to apply it liberally to stamped paper. Line bottom of microwave with paper towels and place dyed paper on top. Microwave on high for 1-2 minutes or use heat tool.
- 3. Remove paper and gently rise off batik medium using wet sponge or foam brush; let dry. If paper curls, flatten under heavy object or iron to flatten.
- 4. Stamp black dreidel images over dyed paper; trim and adhere paper to fit card front.
- 5. Rub anti-static bag over white cardstock scrap. Stamp clear menorah and heat emboss with Lapis Lazuli powder. Cut out and adhere to card front with foam tape.