- Heavy cardboard (from recycled cardboard box)
- Cardstock, 10 sheets each: green, lilac
- Quilling tool
- Paper cutter (optional)
- Plaid Matte Mod Podge
- Clear matte acrylic spray sealer
- Adhesives: hot glue gun and sticks, white tacky glue
- ruler, scissors, craft knife, newspaper (to cover work surface), plastic bowl
- 1. Cut sides from cardboard box or flatten box to have large piece intact. Freehand sketch monogram letter of choice, with final size approximately 14"x13", on cardboard. Cut out letter using craft knife. Repeat, cutting second letter (for back of design) same size as first letter.
- 2. Cut 3"-wide strips of cardboard for sides of monogram. Position back of monogram flat on newspaper; measure length and cut cardboard strip to match. Adhere each cardboard section on monogram using hot glue. Let set. Adhere back of monogram onto sides, matching up front and back pieces. Let set.
- 3. In plastic bowl, mix (2:1) mixture of white tacky glue and water. Tear newspaper into approximately 1"-wide strips. Dip strips into glue mixture and smooth onto monogram. Add added layers on edges where cardboard pieces meet. Smooth newspaper strips, creating clean edges. Let monogram dry overnight.
- 4. Cut 3"-wide strips from green cardstock. Coat back of each strip with layer of Mod Podge; press strips onto sides of monogram, overlapping ends. Once all sides are covered, lay monogram on top of green cardstock. Trace around monogram; cut shape from cardstock. Repeat for front of monogram. Coat each shape with Mod Podge; press onto monogram. Let dry. Apply additional overcoat of Mod Podge onto front and back of monogram. Let dry.
- 5. Cut lilac cardstock into 1/4"-wide strips. Use quilling tool to create basic paisley design, consisting of loose spirals and loops; spot glue shapes using tacky glue. For basic design idea, use photo as guide.
- 6. Spot glue side edges of quilled shapes; press onto front and back sides of monogram, covering area in pleasing design. Let dry.
- 7. Apply clear acrylic sealer on all surfaces of monogram. Let dry.