1. On white cardstock, measure and cut 8-1/2", 5-3/4", 5", and 4-1/2" circles. Cut circles in half.
2. On largest half-circle, use pencil to draw Russian girl with scarf. See photo for ideas. Draw remaining characters (bear, wolf, firebird) on smaller circles.
3. Use black marker to outline designs. Use colored markers, pencils, or crayons to color in designs.
4. Glue edges of each half-circle together, creating cone shape. See photo. Let dry.
Nesting Doll Ornament
5. Use scissors to poke holes in top of each shape. Measure and cut 36" yarn length. Insert yarn end through girl shape; knot yarn below shape. Continue adding shapes on yarn length, knotting yarn after each character shape.
6. For tassel, bundle small amount yarn and tie strand around center. Trim ends even. Tie tassel on bottom of ornament below last character shape.
7. To hang, loop top end of yarn length. Knot ends.
The Magic Nesting Doll Book
1. In the book, The Magic Nesting Doll by Jacqueline K. Ogburn, a magical story of a brave, young girl, Katya, comes to life through the magic of a traditional nested doll she receives from her grandmother. Determined to break a spell of enchantment set on a young prince that entailed darkness and days of harsh winter weather, Katya uses the power of her doll, along with a cast of magnificent animals, to lift the curse. Create your own magical nesting doll using the wonderful characters in this story!