Ink pads: black dye; red dye; Big & Juicy Spice Rainbow (Ranger); Big & Bossy Clear Embossing (Ranger)
Embossing powders (Ranger): Black; Gold UTEE
Dark brown acrylic paint
Adhesives: hi-temp hot glue gun; Aleene’s Original Tacky Glue (Duncan)
1. Paint box and lid, inside and out, dark brown; let dry. Replace lid.
2. Cut glossy cardstock panels to fit sides of box, below edge of lid, leaving painted box edges visible. Cut panels to fit top and inside of lid, allowing extra room at ends for bead placement.
3. Use embossing ink to stamp elephants across side panels; emboss with black powder. Stamp and emboss tree, two elephants, giraffe and sun on outside lid panel; repeat on inside lid panel with tribe and sun.
4. Working with one embossed panel at a time, lightly mist panel with water. Roll brayer firmly across rainbow ink pad in combination of desired colors. Roll several times in same spot to pick up generous amount of ink. Using firm pressure, roll brayer across panel; roll back if needed but do not over-roll. Quick Tip: Embossing images first eliminates stray powder sticking to wet ink and gives nice effect when wet ink collects in and around raised images.
5. Repeat Step 4 for all panels; let dry. Use slightly damp paper towel to remove wet ink from embossed areas.
6. Using red dye ink, stamp half-sun image at center top of each side panel to simulate sun. Ink side panel edges black. Insert round brad at each corner and adhere to box with tacky glue. Quick Tip: Spread tacky glue to edges of each panel and press to box; cover panel with scrap paper and use bone folder like a squeegee to seal edges, using firm pressure in all directions.
7. Emboss edges of both lid panels with gold UTEE. Mat panels on dark brown cardstock. Adhere tribe panel inside lid. String six wooden beads and two oval beads on hemp cord as shown and knot ends; hot glue near top of panel.
8. Cut strips of tiger paper to fit lid edges; cut panels to fit inside of box. Glue tiger pieces to box and lid. Ink lid edges black. Emboss top edge and corners of lid with gold UTEE.
9. Insert square brads in corners of remaining lid panel. Glue panel to lid. String beads and glue to ends of panel as shown.
10. Hot glue four wooden buttons to box bottom for legs and large button to front edge of lid as shown.
1. Join two elephant side panels with brads or twine and wrap around a pillar candle.
2. Create coordinating note cards and envelopes to package inside the box for an unforgettable gift.
3. Adapt box lid design to a journal cover or wooden clock.