Design Challenge: BC - Calling Cards in Tin
Calling Cards in Tin
- Clean Edge Business Cards (Avery)
- Gift card tin (Michaels)
- Cardstock (Stampin’ Up!): Close to Cocoa; Very Vanilla
- Patterned papers: Moda Paisley (Daisy D’s); Music Note FaLaLa (Making Memories); Cavalier Riviera (Prima Marketing Inc.)
- Watercolor paper, 130-lb. cold press (Strathmore)
- Gems: red adhesive (K&Co.); jeweled ribbon slide (The Paper Studio)
- Brown ribbon: 1/4” grosgrain; 5/8” satin
- Stamps: Speckled Background (Inky Antics); Stamp Simply Thank You (Flourishes LLC)
- Adhesives: foam tape; 1/4” double-sided
- Ink pads: Burnt Umber Palette Hybrid (Stewart Superior); Tim Holtz Distress Inks in Scattered Straw, Antique Linen and Tea Dye (Ranger)
- Watercolour Pencils (Staedtler)
- Blender Pen (Tombow)
- Watercolor brush
- Foam blending sponge
- Ticket Corner Punch (Stampin’ Up!)
- Craft knife with cutting mat
- Scallop-edge scissors
- Heat tool
- Computer and printer
- 1. Cover tin lid with paisley paper and inside of tin with script paper, cutting to fit using craft knife. Adhere paper pieces with double-sided tape.
- 2. Place tape strip around lid edge; press grosgrain ribbon to tape. Measure and cut two 1/2"x12" strips from brown side of music paper and adhere to inside edge of tin, piecing as needed; trim excess. Repeat for outside edge of tin, using brown cardstock.
- 3. Print cards using wordprocessing software and optional template at www.avery.com. Follow manufacturer's instructions to break apart cards.
- 4. Stamp Burnt Umber tulip along left side of each card; heat set ink. Using pencils, color tulip petals in shades of orange and red, leaving some white space in open areas of design. Color leaves olive green. Use blender pen to move color from shaded areas into open white spaces.
- 5. Stamp Scattered Straw speckled background along calling card edges. Stamp several times before re-inking to gain depth of color. Sponge card edges with Antique Linen ink.
- 6. Cut and tape center of 10" satin ribbon length to inside bottom of tin. Place card on ribbon and secure ends with ribbon slide.
- 7. To finish lid, cut 1-1/2"x3" watercolor paper piece and ticket punch two opposite corners. Cut 1-5/8"x3-1/8" brown cardstock mat; set aside. Stamp "my Cards" in brown ink on ivory card stock. Mat on brown cardstock and trim edges with scallop scissors; set aside.
- 8. Stamp tulip on watercolor piece. Wet background with watercolor brush. Touch brush to Antique Linen ink pad and wash color onto background; repeat with Tea Dye ink over top of Antique Linen. Sponge Tea Dye along edges. Let dry. Mat piece on cardstock and add gems. Adhere to tin with double-sided tape.
- 9. Cut two short satin ribbon tails; adhere under sentiment edge and add gem. Adhere sentiment piece to tin with foam tape.