Rubber Stamper's Studio Beautiful Backgrounds
sizes: card, 5"x7"; tag, 3-1/4"x5-1/2"
- Cardstock, 8-1/2”x11”: white, brown, golden yellow
- Acetate transparency sheet, 8-1/2”x11”
- Brass mini brads and charms: ticket, dragonfly
- Burlap scrap
- White seam binding
- Brown hemp twine
- Tsukineko Sponge Daubers, one per ink pad
- Paper distressing tool
- Stamps: Memory Box Eiffel Tower and Wonderland Butterfly; Stampscapes Scenic Sentiments Sheet 5 (Nature as Teacher); Inkadinkado Paper Artsy Travel, Explore, Discover; Cornish Heritage Farms Clock; Hero Arts Wood Grain DesignBlock, Silhouette Flower, Big Clock, Three Ferns
- Ranger Tim Holtz Distress Ink Pads: Rusty Hinge, Brushed Corduroy, Crushed Olive, Vintage Photo, Pine Needles
- Tsukineko Ink Pads: VersaFine Onyx Black and Vintage Sepia Pigment, Memento Rich Cocoa Dye, VersaMark Watermark
- American Crafts Zing! Embossing Powder: Chestnut, Copper, Clear
- Watercolor pencils: brown, white
- Signo Uni-Ball White Gel Pen
- Adhesives: paper adhesive, clear dots
- paper trimmer, detail scissors, ruler, small mister bottle, water brush, heat tool, rubber brayer, paper piercer
- 1. Refer to step-by-step image to build sponge dauber background, a layer at a time.
- 2. Using separate dauber for each ink pad, sponge Crushed Olive randomly over white cardstock sheet. Repeat with Rusty Hinge, Pine Needles, Brushed Corduroy, and Vintage Photo, gradually filling in white space a color at a time until entire surface is covered.
- 3. To blend colors, lightly sponge over surface again with Crushed Olive, Rusty Hinge, and Vintage Photo inks.
- 4. To avoid a muddy appearance with this technique, do not choose colors on opposite sides of the color wheel.
- Travel, Explore, Discover Card
- 1. Make brown top-fold card.
- 2. Stamp Vintage Sepia sentiment onto inked background; heat emboss with Chestnut powder. Trim to size and mat on brown cardstock; set aside.
- 3. Spritz 5"x7" piece of burlap with water until moist. Place fabric wet side down near one edge of remaining inked background panel. Brayer burlap for several minutes; remove to reveal faint texture. Dry paper with heat tool.
- 4. Trim background to 4-1/2"x6-1/2". Refer to photo to stamp Vintage Sepia large clock and Crushed Olive ferns; heat set ink.
- 5. Stamp Vintage Sepia small clock and Eiffel Tower; heat emboss with Copper powder.
- 6. Accent fern leaves with white gel pen. Distress edges of background panel and sponge with Rich Cocoa ink.
- 7. Stamp Vintage Sepia Eiffel Tower onto acetate sheet; heat emboss with Copper powder. Detail cut image. Pierce holes and insert three mini brads; adhere over tower on background.
- 8. Cut 2"x4-1/2" burlap strip; adhere to background. Tie brown twine around burlap, adding ticket charm. Adhere panel and sentiment block to card.
- Silhouette Flowers Tag
- 1. Cut tag base from golden yellow cardstock. Cut smaller panels from inked background and brown cardstock.
- 2. Stamp Vintage Sepia woodgrain texture over background. Ink blossoms on flower stamp Rusty Hinge and stem Rich Cocoa; stamp background. Accent flower with watercolor pencils.
- 3. Gently drip water onto stamped panel to create watermark look; heat set. Sponge edges Rich Cocoa.
- 4. Adhere panels together as shown.
- 5. To dye seam binding, tap Rusty Hinge ink pad onto acetate sheet and spritz with water. Press seam binding into wet ink, let dry overnight. Tie into double bow around tag, adding dragonfly charm with brown twine.
- Butterfly Cut-out
- 1. Stamp black butterfly image onto inked background scrap.
- 2. Tap Crushed Olive and Rusty Hinge inks onto separate areas of acetate sheet. Use water brush to paint butterfly with additional ink. Repeat until desired intensity of color is achieved. Let dry completely. Detail cut butterfly.
- 3. Heat emboss entire image with watermark ink and clear powder to further intensify colors.