Eco-Chic Veneer Desk Set
Eco-Chic Veneer Desk Set
- Recycled food cans, paint cans and/or bottles of choice
- Real Wood Thin Veneer (Creative Imaginations): Birch; Cherry
- Red Damask Flocked paper (7gypsies)
- Black hemp
- Black grosgrain ribbon, 1/2": stitched; solid
- Self-adhesive crystal gems
- Black half-round bead
- Flowers (optional): wooden dowels, two; double-sided patterned paper; brads, two
- Stamps: tiny alphabet; Vintage Chintz Backgrounder (Cornish Heritage Farms)
- Black pigment ink pad
- Rubber bands
- Punches: hole, 1/16"; Marvy Clever Lever (Uchida) Embossing Bookplate, 1-1/2" and 2" scalloped ovals, and 5/8" and 2" circles
- Sizzix Big Shot die-cutting system and Bigz dies (Ellison): Serif Essentials Alphabet Set; Bird with Wing; Tim Holtz Alterations Caged Bird
- Aleene's Paper Glaze (iLovetoCreate)
- Aleene's Original Tacky Glue (iLovetoCreate)
- Flowers (optional): Sizzix Bigz Tim Holtz Alterations Tattered Florals die
- 1. For cans, measure height and cut birch or cherry veneer paper to fit around entire can. Adhere veneer paper around cans using paper glue; wrap with rubber bands while glue dries.
- 2. Cut and adhere wide flocked paper strip around one can. Cut and adhere two thin flocked strips around top and bottom of other can.
- 3. Die cut bird and wing from birch veneer; die cut monogram letter from cherry veneer. Punch 2" circle from birch veneer.
- 4. Ink background stamp; stamp bird body and monogram letter. Adhere all veneer shapes to cans as shown; draw bird legs with black marker. Wrap cans with rubber bands while glue dries. Use tacky glue to adhere bead to can for bird's eye; place can on side until glue dries.
- 5. Punch 2" oval from cherry veneer and bookplate from flocked paper. Cut small strip of birch veneer to fit behind bookplate. Adhere layers together as shown; stamp "markers" or other designator onto center. Punch hole at one end of tag; add gems to bookplate holes. Create second tag using smaller oval flocked shape and small birch circle.
- 6. Wrap black hemp several times around top of each can, adding tag to hemp before tying bow. Tie ribbon bow over hemp knot.
- 7. Die cut birdcage from cherry veneer and bird on branch from flocked paper. Adhere bird, then cage, to front of bottle. Add gems to cage holes. Tie ribbon around bottle neck.
- 8. To create flowers, die cut four sets of flowers from double-sided paper. Assemble three layers, alternating patterns, and join with brad. Glue flower to fronts of dowels. Glue second large flower to back of each flower, hiding dowel end. Place flowers in bottle.