aluminum foil, scissors, ruler, kitchen sponge, two large bowls, kitchen glove or potholder
1. Adults, help kids when heating plastic and using oven.
2. Cover baking sheet with aluminum foil. Position plastic strips on baking sheet, slightly overlapping edges. Add enough plastic strips to cover kaleidoscope. Bake plastic in oven at 200º for 15 minutes. (As plastic is heated, it becomes fluid and rounded.)
3. In large bowl, add 1" of warm water and three drops of olive oil. (Olive oil acts as release agent so plastic doesn't stick to tools.) Fill additional bowl with cold water.
4. After plastic strips have melted together, remove baking sheet from oven. Use marbling comb to drag colors together by running through melted plastic strips. (If plastic becomes hard, reheat in oven for a few minutes.)
5. Dip scissors in water/olive oil mixture and cut marbled plastic large enough to cover one section of kaleidoscope. Repeat for second and third portions of kaleidoscope. (If plastic will not bend or mold to kaleidoscope, return to oven and melt for a few minutes.)
6. Press melted plastic on kaleidoscope, molding around edges. Let cool completely.