Chicken Dance Hat
size: 7" tall
Chicken Dance Hat
- Recycled 2L plastic bottle
- Dow STYROFOAM Brand Foam: two 2" balls
- Polyform Sculpey Bake Shop Clays: Red, Yellow, White, Blue, Black
- White tissue paper
- White craft feathers
- Elastic, 12" length
- Jacquard Lumiere Paints: Pearlescent White
- Parchment-lined baking sheet
- Aleene's: Original Tacky Glue, Collage Pauge Instant Decoupage
- scissors, ruler, toothpick, stapler and staples, paintbrush or sponge scrap, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- 1. Adults, help kids when using oven.
- 2. For hat shape, measure and cut top 4" area from plastic bottle (leaving neck area intact). Recycle cap and bottom portion.
- 3. Glue one foam ball (body) into neck area on bottle. Let dry. Cut other foam ball in half. Glue one half on back of bottle (for tail). Cut remaining half in half again (for wings). Glue wings on sides of body.
- 4. On covered work surface, tear tissue paper into strips. Use sponge scrap and decoupage medium to apply tissue paper strips on all areas of hat. Let dry. Paint hat Pearlescent White. Let dry.
- 5. On clean work surface, remove clay from packages. To condition, roll clay in hands until soft, bending and rolling until pliable. If clay cracks, keep conditioning.
- 6. For chicken's eyes, roll two small White balls, two tiny Blue balls, and two tiny Black balls. Press Black balls on Blue balls and Blue balls on White balls.
- 7. For beak, roll Yellow triangle shape. Use toothpick to poke nostril holes. For wattle, roll two small Red teardrops. Press teardrops on sides of beak.
- 8. For feathers on head, roll three Red balls. Press balls into cone shape.
- 9. Position clay pieces on parchment-lined baking sheet. Follow manufacturer's instructions to bake pieces in oven. Let cool completely.
- 10. Glue eyes, beak, wattle, and cone on chicken head. Let dry.
- 11. Use toothpick to poke holes in wings and on tail. Insert white craft feathers in holes; spot glue.
- 12. To wear, measure and cut elastic length to fit underneath chin. Adjust size as needed. Staple elastic ends on either side of hat.