White cotton tank top
Studs: star, ½”; circle, ¼”
Star stickers, ¼”
Testors Aztek Airbrush System and Airbrushable Opaque Acrylic Paints: Red, Blue
Repositionable spray adhesive
Iron and pressing surface
This idea was originally published in our 2016 Summer issue. Subscribe today and save off newsstand prices! You’ll get ALL the projects delivered to you in six jam-packed issues per year.
Protect areas not being painted from accidental overspray. Allow paint to dry between coats.
1. Search online for “eagle coloring page.” Find a simple eagle image, size it to measure 8½” across and print it on cardstock. Cut image in half horizontally and cut along image outline using a craft knife to create stencil.
2. Measure and cut six ½” strips of cardstock. Place strips vertically on bottom half of stencil equally and adhere.
3. Spray adhesive to wrong side of top and bottom stencils.
4. Find center of tank top by pinning side seams together, matching up the armhole and hem. Iron soft crease on front center of shirt as shown. Mark center of both stencils. Align center of top stencil with center crease and press cardstock to shirt.
5. Place star stickers randomly across top stencil on tank top as shown. Airbrush image using blue paint.
6. Cut piece of shelf liner to fit opening of bottom stencil. Adhere liner to sticky side of stencil. Spray other side of liner with adhesive so it sticks to tank top. Position bottom stencil with shelf liner ¾” below top stencil. Center stencil with crease and stick to shirt.
7. Mix small amount of blue + red paint to get deeper shade of red. Airbrush bottom stencil with mixed red paint. Lightly dust red with blue paint using soft irregular strokes to create a variegated look to the bottom design. Let dry.
8. Remove stencils and star stickers. Attach gold stars and circle studs to space in between top and bottom stenciled designs. Start with center star and work outward making sure to space studs equally. Push stud prongs through the shirt and bend them down on the backside.