etchall: Etching Crème, Etchmask Vinyl, transfer paper
Detail pick tool
Swivel blade craft knife or digital cutting machine
This idea was originally published in our 2016 Summer issue. Subscribe today and save off newsstand prices! You’ll get ALL the projects delivered to you in six jam-packed issues per year.
1. Print full-size patterns and use transfer paper to transfer pattern onto Etchmask.
2. Cut pattern from Etchmask using digital cutting machine or cut around design with swivel blade craft knife. Cut vinyl only (not the backing paper).
3. Remove and expose areas of design that will be etched with detail pick tool. Insert tip of tool into vinyl away from cut edge and lift gently.
4. Cover Etchmask top with transfer paper and press firmly onto Etchmask. Carefully peel backing sheet from Etchmask.
5. With transfer paper facing up, press Etchmask firmly onto slate and remove transfer paper. Make sure all areas of slate not to be etched are completely covered. Use pieces of transfer paper on edges or corners as needed.
6. Cover open areas liberally with Etching Crème. Use squeegee to spread crème across open areas. After 10 minutes, use squeegee to move crème around, being careful not to touch slate surface.
7. After an additional 5 minutes, scrape crème back into container. Rinse slate and remove Etchmask to reveal etched design.