Warm & Cozy Slippers
Adorn your baby's precious little feet with these warm and cozy baby slippers. Or, crochet for a baby shower as the perfect last-minute gift.
- Caron International Simply Soft Light: Bubble Gum, 10 oz.
- Crochet hook, I-9 or size needed to obtain gauge
- Yarn needle
- Heavy cardboard (for making tassels), 2”
dc: double crochet
RS: right side
sc: single crochet
slip st: slip stitch
WS: wrong side
- 1. Sizes are: M (L); 4 (4-1/2)" deep x 8 (9)" long.
- 1. In single crochet with two strands of yarn held together, 10 sc and 10 rows = 4".
- Special Terms
- 1. BPdc (back-post double crochet): Yarn over, insert hook from right-hand side of stitch to RS of piece, return to WS at left-hand side of stitch indicated, yarn over and pull up loop, complete as dc.
- 2. FPdc (front-post double crochet): Yarn over, insert hook from right-hand side of stitch to WS of piece, return to RS at left-hand side of stitch indicated, yarn over and pull up loop, complete as dc.
- 3. sc2tog (single crochet 2 together): Insert hook in next stitch, yarn over and pull up a loop, (2 loops on hook), insert hook in next stitch, yarn over and pull up a loop, yarn over and draw through all 3 loops on hook.
- 4. sc3tog (single crochet 3 together): Insert hook in next stitch, yarn over and pull up a loop, (2 loops on hook), [insert hook in next stitch, yarn over and pull up a loop] twice, yarn over and draw through all 4 loops on hook.
- 1. Slippers are worked holding two strands of yarn together throughout.
- Slipper (make 2)
- 1. Beginning at back (heel) edge, with 2 strands of yarn held together, ch 21 (24).
- 2. Row 1: Sc in second ch from hook and in next 5 (6) ch, [dc in next ch, sc in next 6 (7) ch] twice, turn-20 (23) sts.
- 3. Row 2: Ch 1, [sc in next 6 (7) sts, FPdc around next st] twice, sc in last 6 (7) sts, turn.
- 4. Row 3: Ch 1, [sc in next 6 (7) sts, BPdc around next st] twice, sc in last 6 (7) sts, turn.
- 5. Repeat Rows 2 and 3 until piece measures 6-1/2 (7-1/2)"/16.5 (19) cm from beginning.
- 6. (Note: The post stitches outline the edges of the sole of the slipper.)
- 1. Rows 1-7: Ch 1, sc in each st across, turn-20 (23) sts.
- 2. Row 8 (toe decrease): Ch 1, sc in first st, [sc3tog] 6 (7) times, sc in last st, turn-8 (9) sts.
- 3. Row 9 (toe decrease): Ch 1, sc in first 3 (4) sts, sc2tog, sc in last 3 sts, turn-7 (8) sts.
- 4. Fasten off leaving a 10"/25.5 cm tail (for sewing).
- 1. Finish Toe: Using yarn needle weave 10"/25.5 cm tail through stitches of last row of toe and pull to gather stitches. Continuing with tail, sew edges together for 2-1/2"/6.5 cm from toe (for top of foot).
- 2. Finish Heel: Turn slipper inside out. Using yarn needle, sew back seam, gathering last 2-1/2"/6.5 cm at base of heel (between post stitches). Secure and weave in end.
- Top Trim
- 1. With 2 strands of yarn held together, join yarn in top of back seam.
- 2. Rnd 1: Ch 1, sc evenly around top opening of slipper; join with slip st in first sc.
- 3. Rnd 2 (eyelet round): Ch 2 (counts as sc, ch 1), *skip next sc, sc in next sc, ch 1; repeat from * around; join with slip st in beginning ch.
- 4. Rnd 3 (shell round): Ch 1, *sc in next ch-1 space, 3 dc in next ch-1 space; repeat from * around; join with slip st in first sc. Fasten off.
- Ties (make 2 - one for each slipper)
- 1. With 2 strands of yarn held together, ch 60. Fasten off. Weave one tie through eyelet round of each slipper, with ends at front of slipper.
- Tassels (make 4 - two for each tie)
- 1. Wrap yarn around 2" of heavy cardboard 12 times. Thread a 6"/15 cm length of yarn under the strands at one end of the cardboard and tie a double knot (for top of tassel), do not trim tails of knot. Cut strands at opposite end of cardboard. Tie another length of yarn around all strands about 1/2"/1.5 cm from top of tassel; thread ends into tassel. Trim ends to even. Use tails of top knot to attach one tassel to each end of both ties.
- 2. Using yarn needle, weave in all ends.