Palm Tree Margarita Glasses
Create your own tropical paradise by transforming plain margarita glasses into shady palm trees! Accented with mini seashells, they are perfect for happy hour or entertaining friends.
- Margarita glasses
- Assorted small seashells
- DecoArt Americana Gloss Enamels: Burnt Sienna, Calypso Blue, Foliage Green, Hauser Dark Green, Hauser Medium Green, Honey Brown, Sand, White
- Royal Aqualon Paintbrushes: Series 2150 Shader #6; Series 2585 Liner 10/0; Series 2735 Wisp 3/8”; Series 393 Soft Grip Deerfoot Stippler, 1/4”, 3/8”
- Eclectic Products E6000 Industrial Strength Adhesive
- rubbing alcohol, paper towel, sponge scrap, palette, soft cloth, newspaper (to cover work surface), hair dryer
- 1. Wipe glasses with rubbing alcohol to remove dirt. Stipple Sand basecoat onto pedestal foot using 3/8" deerfoot stippler. Repeat until opaque. Load deerfoot stippler with Sand and small amount of Honey Brown; tap lightly on palette to blend and lightly stipple beach area. See Fig. 1.
- 2. Load 1/4" deerfoot stippler with (1:1) mixture of Calypso Blue and White; stipple water. See Fig. 2. Let dry. Clean and dry deerfoot stippler. Load toe with White; stipple water‘s edge. Stipple lightly over remaining water area to soften and lighten. See Fig. 3.
Fig. 2 & Fig. 3
- 3. Stipple basecoat on stem Burnt Sienna + touch of Honey Brown using sponge scrap. Let dry between coats; repeat until opaque. Finish top and bottom edges neatly using shader. Add final Burnt Sienna basecoat. Let dry. Load wisp with brush mix of Honey Brown + touch of Burnt Sienna to paint details on trunk. Load dirty brush with touch of Sand to highlight.
- 4. Paint center veins on palm fronds Hauser Dark Green using liner. Use brush mix of Hauser Dark Green and Hauser Medium Green to stroke first layer of fronds, beginning at trunk and tapering fronds toward tips. See Fig. 4. Use dirty brush to pick up Foliage Green; stroke second layer of fronds. See Fig. 5. Use dirty brush and White to highlight. See Fig. 6.
Fig. 4, Fig. 5 & Fig. 6
- 5. Carefully wipe away fingerprints with soft cloth. Adhere shells onto sand area. Follow manufacturer's instructions for curing paint. Do not soak or scrub. Hand wash glasses in warm water with mild soap.
- 1. For best results, avoid thinning paint with water or using wet brushes. Use hair dryer to speed up drying time between coats.