Floral Summer Garden Stake
Here's a pretty addition to any garden or outdoor area. The flower, leaves, and butterfly are made from foil baking pan covers. It's very easy to handle, cut, and shape... and it loves airbrushed paint! This is an inexpensive and fun project.
- Foil baking pan covers, 13”x20”, two
- Wooden dowel, 36” length
- Floral wire
- Green glitter pipecleaners
- Testors Aztek Broad Stroke EZ Airbrush System Set and Airbrushable Acrylic Paints: Opaque Peach (9444), Opaque Orange (9443), Transparent Sky Blue (9487), Transparent Mocha (9482), Opaque White (9440), Pearl Green (9477), Transparent Dark Green (9489), Pearl Purple (9475)
- Testors: Enamel Paint Markers in Black (2547C) and Metallic Gold (2544C), Glosscote Spray Sealer (1261T)
- Fiskars Paper Edger Scissors: Majestic (12-92167897J) and Deckle (12-92187897J)
- Embossing tool
- Hot glue gun
- scissors, ruler, paper towels (to cover work surface), wire cutters
Pattern - Butterfly and Leaves
Pattern - Large Flower
Pattern - Small Flower
- 1. Print out patterns.
- 2. Arrange flower templates over foil cover. (Note: The pans themselves have too many creases to work with, but the covers offer an expanse of smooth flat space. See Photo 1.) Trace images onto foil cover using embossing tool. See Photo 2. Cut out with deckle scissors. See Photo 3. Mark flower centers with impression using embossing tool. Engrave lines on each petal and 1/4" from outer edge using embossing tool.
Fiskars Deckle Paper Edgers
- 3. Trace leaf template onto foil using embossing tool, making two of each size. Cut out with plain scissors; engrave veins and lines on leaves using embossing tool. See Photo 4.
- 4. Trace butterfly template onto foil using embossing tool. Cut out using plain scissors on top and majestic scissors on bottom wings. Engrave with embossing tool. See Photo 5.
Fiskars Magestic Paper Edgers
- 5. Cut two 1"x3" foil strips; set one aside. Cut 3/4" slits in long side of remaining strip. See Photo 6. Spray both sides of cut strip with orange paint. See Photo 7. Spray plain strip with white paint on one side. Let dry. Curl fringe on orange strip around pen. See Photo 8. Roll base of orange strip into circle; set aside. See Photo 9.
- 6. Paint dowel white; let dry. Set aside.
- 7. Paint all sides of flowers with peach; let dry. See Photo 10. Paint edges and engravings mocha to accent. Dust flowers with orange for added color. Spray with sealer.
- 8. Adhere small flower to large flower with petals staggered as shown using hot glue in marked center. See Photo 11. Adhere rhinestone to center of flower. Adhere straight edge of fringed foil around rhinestone. See Photo 12.
- 9. Press unpainted side of white foil strip on dowel to shape. Remove curved piece; adhere painted side to back of flower. Wrap two lengths of floral wire around dowel to form spirals. Slide spirals off dowel; gently pull to stretch and loosen coil. Adhere wire ends inside white foil strip. See Photo 13.
- 10. Paint all sides of butterfly with sky blue; let dry. Lightly paint purple diagonally across wings. See Photo 14.
- 11. Outline wings and color body in black using marker. Draw dots and lines across wings as desired using gold marker. See Photo 15. Spray with sealer.
- 12. Create another spiral floral wire length as in Step 9. Adhere one end to butterfly; slide other end on dowel and adhere. See Photo 16.
- 13. Paint all sides of leaves green pearl; let dry. See Photo 17. Paint edges and engravings dark green to accent. See Photo 18. Spray with sealer.
- 14. Join four pipe cleaners into one by twisting together, end to end. Wrap around a container to curl; rubbing with hands to shape. See Photo 19. Slide pipe cleaner off container; stretch slightly.
- 15. Place glue inside white foil piece on flower back. Lay dowel on top with butterfly wire at least 1" above foil. Wrap foil around dowel; adhere. Adhere pipe cleaner against side of white foil. See Photo 20.
- 16. Run dowel through center of pipe cleaner spiral. Adhere end of pipe cleaner to dowel, 4" from bottom. Wrap small leaf stems around pipe cleaner, one in upper half and one in lower. See Photo 21.
- 17. Adhere large leaves to dowel behind flower. See Photo 22.
- 18. Hand shape wire and foil pieces gently without tugging or creasing sharply. (Note: Creasing may peel paint from foil.) Bend long petal edges inward, curl butterfly wings and antennae, warp leaf ends, etc. See Photos 23-25.
- 1. Pattern templates are offered for personal use only, not for resale. All are the property and the copyright of Domestic Diva Online, 2014.