Airbrushed Floral Pillow
- Pillow slipcover of choice
- Testors Solo Resin Airbrush Set (with A470 airbrush and .40mm General Purpose Nozzle) with AC100 Diaphragm Compressor
- Stencils of choice: large tropical leaf, fronds, large and small flowers
- Testors Airbrushable Acrylic Paints: Transparent Cherry (9484), Transparent Rose (9485), Opaque White (9440), Opaque Yellow (9442), Opaque Turquoise (9450), Transparent Dark Green (9489)
- Painter’s tape
- scrap fabric, mat board, paper towels, copier or scrap paper, empty clean bottle to mix paints, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- 1. Designer combined own personal stencil design, made with Adobe Illustrator and printed using printer, with manufactured stencils. See Photo 1. Planning spraying sequence of colors and stencil order makes project go smoothly. For each element, use different stencil and apply scrap paper over areas to be left unsprayed.
- 1. Mount fabric to mat board with painter's tape. Place sheets of paper inside pillow pocket to protect from paint bleeding through.
- 2. Arrange stencils on pillow. See Photo 2. Place all stencils and paper masks on fabric and label, matching stencil with mask and noting direction if desired. Remove stencils and masks.
- 3. Place all flower masks on fabric; tape in place. Place large leaf stencils on top of flower masks. Mask off all other areas not being sprayed with paper towels held in place with tape. See Photo 3. Mix Opaque White, Opaque Turquoise, and Transparent Dark Green paints in empty bottle to achieve color shown. Lightly spray leaves. See Photo 4. Remove stencils.
- 4. Place frond stencils on top of flower masks. Mask off all other areas with paper towels as before. See Photo 5. Spray fronds with Transparent Dark Green, starting with a light spray and increasing to achieve gradient effect. Remove stencils and paper towels. See Photo 6.
- 5. Remove light pink flower masks. Position flower stencils; secure with tape. Mask other areas with paper towels as before. Airbrush flowers with very light spray of Transparent Rose. Remove stencils and paper towels.
- 6. Remove large flower masks. Position large flower stencils and all other masks. See Photo 7. Spray outer petals with Transparent Cherry, highlight areas with Opaque Yellow, and overall area with Transparent rose. Remove stencils. See Photo 8.
- 7. Position large flower center stencils and all other masks. Spray edges Transparent Cherry, then overspray all Transparent Rose.
- 8. Remove small flower masks. Position small flower stencils and all other masks. Spray Transparent Rose on outer petals, then overspray all with Opaque Yellow. Remove stencils.
- 9. Position small flower center stencils and all other masks. Spray Transparent Rose. Remove all stencils and masks. Freehand spray background lightly, first with Transparent Rose, then with Opaque Yellow. Let dry. Remove stencils and paper towels. Insert pillow into slipcover.
- 1. Layering airbrush paint produces intense, vibrant colors. Stencils create hard edges, while freehand spraying produces soft effects.