Love Goblin Valentine Box
Keep this fun-loving monster happy with a mouthful of valentines! This easy-to-make mailbox will be loads of fun for all the kids in the classroom this Valentine's Day.
- Recycled rectangular tissue box (remove plastic)
- Dow STYROFOAM Brand Foam Shapes: 1-1/4” balls, two; 2” egg
- Floracraft Dry Foam Mug Inserts, 2-5/8”x3-3/4”, two
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Lamp (Ebony) Black, Snow (Titanium) White, Bright Green, Grape Juice, Royal Fuchsia; Glow-in-the-Dark
- Flat wooden shapes: two small circles, 17 small hearts
- Craft foam: white, purple, fuchsia
- Chenille stems, two each: pink, lime, orange, yellow, purple
- 1/8” hole punch
- Adhesives: thick craft glue, glue gun and glue sticks
- pencil, scissors, ruler, paintbrushes, paper plate (for palette), transparent tape, large nail, hammer, newspaper (to cover work surface)
Pattern - Love Goblin
- 1. Adult supervision is needed when using a glue gun and nail.
- Love Goblin
- 1. Print and cut out patterns. Follow directions on patterns.
- 2. On covered work surface, paint the pieces. (Note: Allow paint to dry between coats and color changes.) Use Titanium White to basecoat tissue box (body). Paint body Bright Green, wooden circles (pupils) Lamp Black, foam balls (eyes) Glow-in-the Dark, cylinders (legs) and hearts Royal Fuchsia, and egg (nose) Grape Juice.
- 3. To make the arms, use hole punch to punch a hole in hands where indicated by "x" on pattern. See photo. Use nail to punch a hole at each side of body. Thread chenille stem through hand holes and center; fold in half and twist chenille stem together. Push chenille stem ends through sides of body. Secure ends with tape inside body.
- 4. To assemble the monster, see photo. Adhere teeth to inside of "mouth". Adhere feet to bottom of legs. Adhere legs to bottom of body and hearts to body as desired. Use glue gun to adhere pupils to eyes and eyes side-by-side to top of body. Adhere nose to front of body below eyes.
- 5. Make the hair. Wrap each chenille stem around pencil, one at a time. Remove from pencil and stretch to measure 6". Curl top ends of hair in a circle. Twist bottom of hair ends together. Use glue gun to adhere hair behind eyes. Let dry. Arrange hair as shown.
- 1. Replace foam legs with frozen juice cans; wrap cans with fuchsia craft foam.