Pattern - Winter Friends Wreath
- 1. Sand wood split balls and holly leaves, wipe dust.
- 2. Use round brushes and filbert to basecoat; base each split ball entirely in following colors: Lt. Buttermilk (three snowmen); Sand (two penguin); Cocoa, (two gingerbread). Base holly leaves Soft Sage.
- 3. Print out pattern; transfer basic details onto appropriate split balls.
- Artist's Tips
- 1. Use flat wash for shading lower edges of balls; shader to shade and highlight; 5/0 script liner to paint veins; 20/0 script liner to paint fine details; old round brush to stipple snow; round fabric brushes to dry brush cheeks; mops to blend floated areas. Use stylus to make smaller dots. Use the pattern as a guide to shade (///) and highlight (...). Use Fig. 1 as guide to paint eyes.
- 1. Shade Milk Chocolate behind holly leaves and carrot nose. Base nose Tangerine; shade Burnt Sienna and add detail lines. Base holly leaves Soft Sage; shade Avocado and add vein lines. Use photo as guide to float Tuscan Red on leaf edges. Dry brush cheeks Raspberry. Use Lamp Black to paint eyes and eyebrows. Float Soft Sage highlight along right side of eyes. Use Snow White to stroke eye highlights and to highlight dot cheeks.
- 2. Use Dk. Chocolate to paint vines. Use handle end of #8 fabric round brush to dot large Tuscan Red holly berries; use large end of stylus to dot vine berries. Use Lamp Black to dot and line holly berry ends. Stipple Snow White snow on holly leaves.
- 1. Base frosting area Sand. Shade dark areas of head and edges of frosting Dk. Chocolate. Base poinsettia petals Lt. Buttermilk; float Tuscan Red over petals and add vein lines. Base flower center Hauser Lt. Green; dot center Cadmium Yellow. Base leaves Soft Sage; shade Avocado and add vein lines. Use Avocado to paint dark pine needles and Soft Sage for light needles. Paint vines Dk. Chocolate; dot berries Tuscan Red. Dry brush cheeks Tuscan Red. Use Lamp Black to paint eyes, eyelashes, brows, and nose. Float Soft Sage highlight along left side of eyes. Use Snow White to stroke eye highlights and to highlight dot cheeks; stipple snow on boughs.
- 1. Use Graphite to paint dark area of head. Base beak Cadmium Yellow. Shade edges of "face" Milk Chocolate. Shade beak Burnt Sienna. Use Burnt Sienna to paint dark area of mouth and beak holes. Float cheeks with Raspberry. Use Lamp Black to paint eyes, eyelashes, and brows. Float Soft Sage highlight along left side of eyes. Use Snow White to stroke eye highlights and to highlight dot cheeks.
- 2. Use Soft Sage to paint light pine needles and boughs, and Avocado to paint dark pine needles and boughs. Dot berries Tuscan Red. Stipple Snow White snow on pine needles.
- Holly Leaves
- 1. Shade leaves Avocado; add vein lines. Float Tuscan Red on leaves. (Note: Float color on different areas of leaves so they do not all look the same.)
- 1. Spray split balls with varnish. Let dry.
- 2. Make an 8"-wide, double-looped bow with 8" tails. Wrap wire around center to hold loops in place. Glue bow on wreath.
- 3. Using photo as guide, arrange heads on wreath; make sure they are balanced. Arrange holly leaves and pinecones. Remove one item at a time and glue in place onto wreath.
- 4. Use gold wire to make seven 1-1/2"-wide triple-looped bows with 2" tails. Attach a charm to each wire tail. Curl tails around small brush handle, squeeze together for 1" long curled tails. Glue wire bows to bottom of heads.
- 5. Cut berry sprigs to various lengths; glue in place throughout wreath making sure berries do not hide gold bows and charms. Cut a 6" length from wire to form a hanger at back of wreath.
- 6. Spray entire wreath with varnish to seal.
- 1. Use same designs to create various ornaments. Or why not use same designs to create personalized Christmas cards, painting directly on card or on a flat round tin or wood surface, as a bonus holiday "ornament" card.