- DecoArt Americana Acrylics: Spring Pin: Blue Mist, Burnt Umber, Buttermilk, Lamp (Ebony) Black, Mint Julep, Shading Flesh, True Ochre Summer Pin: Burnt Orange, Buttermilk, Lamp (Ebony) Black, Plantation Pine, Primary Blue, True Ochre, True Red, Yellow Green Fall Pin: Antique Gold, Antique White, Burnt Orange, Burnt Umber, Buttermilk, Emperor’s Gold, Plantation Pine, True Red Winter Pin: Blue Mist, Buttermilk, Lamp (Ebony) Black, Plantation Pine, Shading Flesh
- Brushes: Loew-Cornell: La Corneille Golden Taklon: Ultra Round, Series 7020, #4; Specialty: Maxine’s Oval Mop Goat Hair, Series 270, 1/4”, 3/8”, 1/2”; Round Scumbler, Series 2014, #4
- DecoArt Craft Twinkles: Crystal
- Krylon Matte Spray
- J.W. etc. Right Step Clear Varnish, Matte
- Black Brooch: oval, (16-1453), two, square, (16-1454), two from Viking Woodcrafts
- Koh-I-Noor Black Radiograph Pen: .30mm
Pattern - Tiny Treasures
- Artist's Tips
- 1. Use ultra round brush for all painting, including basecoating unless otherwise instructed. Brush holds a tremendous amount of paint or wash while point is that of a liner to obtain great detailing. Use appropriate size mop as needed.
- 1. Lightly sand each pin in area to be painted. Print out patterns; transfer outline.
- 2. For spring, summer, and winter pins, apply two light coats Buttermilk within outline, mopping between layers and using wash mix for second coat. For fall pin, apply two light coats Antique White in same manner as other pins. Let dry completely. Transfer basic details.
- Spring Pin
- 1. Lightly wash Mint Julep over basecoated area; mop to soften and blend. Repeat process. Use round scumbler to very subtly stipple Buttermilk clouds above and below nest.
- 2. Wash in nest with Burnt Umber; mop to soften. Repeat. With more Burnt Umber and a little less water fill inside of nest section against eggs. Base eggs Buttermilk. Use tip of ultra round brush, Burnt Umber, True Ochre, and Buttermilk to paint squiggly horizontal lines to represent branches and straws of nest. Use pen to reinforce a few black branches.
- 3. If needed base eggs again. Wash eggs with Blue Mist; lightly shade Burnt Umber or use round scumbler to speckle eggs. Pick up a little Buttermilk and lightly dot eggs.
- 4. Line outer stripe Shading Flesh. Use pen to draw in checkerboard. Float light Lamp Black wash around sky area against checkerboard.
- Summer Pin
- 1. Mix Primary Blue + tch. of Buttermilk for a pretty sky color. Wash over basecoated area with sky mix; mop to soften and blend. Repeat process.
- 2. Base poppies Buttermilk. Wash True Red on each poppy and buds, mopping as you go. Lightly wash again with Burnt Orange to define certain areas. Use round scumbler to stipple Lamp Black onto center of poppy closest to bottom. Lightly shade Lamp Black between largest flowers; mop to soften. Wash Yellow Green around outside of flowers and mop. Float Plantation Pine around outside of flowers. Use same color to line stems and to add a few leaves.
- 3. Line border with pen. Use light Lamp Black wash to float around inside edge of lined border; mop to soften. Use pen to add tiny dots inside poppies and buds then use ultra round to add a few True Ochre dots.
- 4. Base bees Lamp Black; add two True Ochre bands. Base wings Buttermilk.
- Fall Pin
- 1. Use Buttermilk to base pumpkins, gourd, and acorns. Wash pumpkins with Burnt Umber; mop to soften. Wash True Red along right side of largest pumpkin and wash Antique Gold along right side of smaller pumpkin. Wash Antique Gold along top section of gourd and wash Plantation Pine along bottom section. Use ultra round and Burnt Umber to line pumpkin sections. Line Plantation Pine at top of gourd and Buttermilk on bottom.
- 2. Highlight pumpkins Buttermilk at top left. Use brush mix of Burnt Umber and Lamp Black to shade between pumpkins and gourd and underneath each. Use same mix to float around each.
- 3. Float Burnt Umber around inside edge of oval. Use equal mix of Plantation Pine and Antique Gold to wash each acorn. Shade Lamp Black under caps. Wash caps Buttermilk. Dot Emperor's Gold highlight at bottom area and dot Buttermilk on very bottom of each acorn. Use pen to draw checkerboard. Add a row of tiny Emperor's Gold dots around outer edges of checkerboard.
- Winter Pin
- 1. Wash sky area Blue Mist; mop to soften. Repeat. Add snowy Buttermilk wash on ground and mop to soften.
- 2. Base house Shading Flesh; repeat if needed for solid coverage. Paint roof and chimney Buttermilk. Float Lamp Black wash along bottom of house up against snow; mop to soften. Use pen to draw in windows. Base door Blue Mist. Very lightly shade Lamp Black along right side of door and on house under roof. Wash some Lamp Black smoke coming from chimney; mop to soften. Add tiny little Buttermilk icicles dripping from roof and randomly dot snowflakes.
- 3. Use tip of ultra round and Plantation Pine to paint little pine trees using short choppy horizontal strokes. Float a little Lamp Black under each tree. Use pen to draw larger tree trunks and branches.
- 4. Use light Lamp Black wash to float along inside edge of circle. Add a row of Buttermilk dots around circle and line large snowflakes.
- 1. Spray pins with several light varnish coats. (Note: Be sure to spray varnish as brushing on varnish prior to spraying will smear design.) Apply Crystal Craft Twinkles here and there on snow of Winter Pin. Let dry. Apply a coat of brush-on varnish to all pins.