Pattern - Summertime Napkin Holder
- Artist's Tip
- 1. When painting stripes, choose flat brush or round brush one size smaller than the width of the stripe you are painting. When pressure is applied, the bristles should not go outside the edges.
- 1. Remove lid. Follow manufacturer's instructions to apply wood filler to all end grain wood sections and nail holes; let dry. Sand until smooth; wipe dust. Seal entire piece with multi-purpose sealer; let dry. Sand lightly; wipe dust. Mark a line 2-1/4" up from bottom of back panel of box. Use Cool White to base outside of box, top of back panel to line, and top of lid. Base inside of box and top edges of box Melon. Use Pistachio Mint to base back of box panel and outer edges, outer lid edges, and bottom of lid.
- 2. Use Hauser Lt. Green to shade wide float along white edges of back panel.
- 3. Print out pattern; transfer basic details as needed.
- Watermelon Lid Top
- 1. Working wet-on-wet and one small section at a time, use Cool White to base area between green rind and melon center. With clean shader, blend Pistachio Mint from rind into Cool White. Continue around lid and let dry. In same manner, blend Melon from edge of melon center into Cool White. Let dry and repeat both applications. When dry, apply narrow Cool White back-to-back float in middle of rind and flesh to brighten. Shade edge of rind with narrower Hauser Dk. Green float. Moisten Melon center with water avoiding blended area; use dampened seal wool sponge to gently sponge Royal Fuchsia. Let dry. Dampen again and gently sponge Cranberry Wine keeping this application in smaller area.
- 2. Use #1 liner and Black Plum to base seeds. Shade casual Cranberry Wine c-strokes around a section of each seed. Use small Cool White comma strokes to highlight larger seeds. Use Hauser Dk. Green to line edges with scant 1/8" border.
- Watermelon Lid Bottom
- 1. Use photo as guide. Use watercolor pencil to very lightly draw placement of stripes. Use glaze wash brush to wash each stripe with water, then load #12 shader with Hauser Dk. Green and pull brush in zigzag motion from curved edge of lid to center; tap immediately with blender to soften. Repeat process decreasing width of zigzag motion for each stripe. Let dry. Use 1/2" angular and Hauser Dk. Green to shade along curved edge of lid.
Watermelon Lid Bottom
- Box Stripes
- 1. See color chart.
- 2. (Note: For best results, transfer and paint stripes one color at a time in order given on pattern. Transfer small dots to mark stripes and use watercolor pencil and t-square to connect them.) Center stripe pattern on box front; for sides, align pattern to front edge.
- 3. Use #1 liner to paint the following details: Pistachio Mint on edges of wide Green Mix stripes; Melon in center of each Peach stripe; Lt. Pink Mix between Pink Mix and Melon stripes.
- 1. Use round brush and Melon to base "Water & Melon" wording. Use 1/4" angular and Cranberry Wine to lightly shade from top down; repeat to even out tone. Use #1 liner and Hauser Lt. Green to line drop shadows. Use 20/0 liner and Hauser Dk. Green to line between shadows and body of letters. Use tip of liner and Cranberry Wine to randomly add small seeds within top section of each letter. Use #1 liner and Hauser Lt. Green to line "Supply Co." wording.
- 1. Apply two to three varnish coats. When dry, follow manufacturer's instructions to apply Painter's Wax. Reattach lid.
- 1. For a fun outdoor eating theme, make matching coasters, napkin rings, napkins, placemats, and more; the possibilities are endless.