Pattern - Star Ornament 'n Card
- 1. For card, fold watercolor paper in half; trim to measure 5-1/2"x8-1/2". Measure a 1" border along top and bottom edges of card front; paint Holly Green. Draw a 1/4"-wide border, spacing 1/4" apart from green borders; paint Santa Red. Paint a thin Cadmium Yellow line along red border edges as shown.
- 2. Print out pattern. Transfer star outline onto plywood; use scissors to carefully cut out star. Use #10 shader to undercoat Antique Gold; base Cadmium Yellow for opaque coverage.
- Artist's Tip
- 1. When painting with liner, use very light touch. Do not overload brush and just use very tip end with little pressure. This will achieve a very tiny line.
- Large Star
- 1. Use #10 shader to shade Terra Cotta along edges on left side and highlight Pineapple along edges on right side. Using photo as guide, use stencil brush to dry brush cheeks Carousel Pink. Use Lamp Black and handle end of #10 shader to dot eyes; use liner to line smile and eyebrows. Add Warm White highlight lines along top of cheeks and add highlight dots to eyes.
- 1. Use #6 shader to undercoat red area Antique Gold; base Santa Red for opaque coverage. Use same brush to shade Napa Red along left side and highlight Cadmium Red along right side. Paint "fur" Warm White; shade Grey Sky along left side. Add Warm White stitch lines along outer edges of red area.
- 1. Use #10 shader to base Terra Cotta. Use #6 shader to shade Burnt Sienna along left side and highlight Pumpkin along right side. Fig. 1. Use liner and Warm White to outline gingerbread shape leaving small space along edges; add icing lines at ends of arms and legs. Add whispy Warm White "hair" strokes and smile. Use stylus to add tiny Lamp Black eye and button dots. Dot cheeks Carousel Pink.
- Little Stars
- 1. Use #6 shader to base Cadmium Yellow; highlight Warm White along right top edges. Fig. 2. Use Lamp Black and toothpick to dip-dot eyes; use liner to line eyebrows and mouth. Dot cheeks Carousel Pink.
- 1. Apply varnish to all wood surfaces. Let dry.
- 2. Use 1/8" drill bit to drill holes at end of large star's arms and top of head, in upper left corner of stocking, and at end of gingerbread arms. Cut two 3" lengths from wire. Center remaining 5" length through stocking hole; wrap ends around liner brush handle to curl then thread ends through one gingerbread arm hole. Coil ends securing wire in place. Thread 3" lengths through remaining gingerbread arm holes. Coil ends to secure and wrap remaining lengths around brush handle to curl. Thread ends through large star arm holes and coil to secure.
- 3. For hanger, fold cording in half and thread through head hole; thread ends through loop formed and pull tight. Tie cord ends together in a knot 1" from ends.
- 4. Tie ribbon into bow and glue to top left corner of stocking; glue pom-pom to tip of stocking.
- 5. Apply adhesive squares to back of little stars; adhere three stars to top and bottom green borders spacing evenly apart. Use remaining adhesive squares to adhere large star to center front of card. (Note: To mail cards, it is advised to use a bubble envelope.)
- 1. Substitute birch plywood for rusty star (11-RT7102 from Cupboard Distributing) if desired and paint in same manner. Use small stars and earring posts to create earrings.