Hub Cap Flowers
Hub Cap Flowers
- Recycled automobile hub cap
- Wooden shapes, 1”: circles, rings
- Recycled wire clothing hangers
- Green duct tape
- Cable zip ties
- Bubble wrap
- Acrylic crystals, 14mm
- Hanger of choice
- Heavy-duty wire cutters
- Krylon Indoor/Outdoor Spray Paint: Pumpkin Orange, Blue Ocean Breeze, Gum Drop
- Beacon Adhesives Gem-Tac Permanent Adhesive
- Brown alchohol ink
- newspaper (to cover work surface)
- 1. Thoroughly clean and dry hub cap. Position hub cap flat on covered work surface. Adhere wooden shapes on center of hub cap. Attach cable ties around outside edges of hub cap.
- 2. In well-ventilated area, spray center of hub cap Pumpkin Orange or Blue Ocean Breeze. Spray outer portion of hub cap Gum Drop or Pumpkin Orange. Apply several coats as desired, letting paint dry between coats.
- 3. With pliers, un-twist tops of two wire hangers; straighten hangers. Use wire cutters to cut 14" lengths from hanger (for leaves). Use pliers to shape wire lengths into ovals for leaves. Position other long wire length on work surface (for stem).
- 4. Cut bubble wrap into long 2"-wide strips. Starting 3" from top of stem, wrap strips around wire hanger and wire leaves. Beginning at top of stem, wrap green duct tape around bubble wrap. Wrap green duct tape around leaves, permanently attaching leaves to stem.
- 5. Adhere crystals on flower center using glue. Let dry.
- 6. Use pliers to bend 3" of top of stem around base of hub cap, attaching stem to flower. Attach hanger of choice on back of flower.
- 1. If working with younger kids, have kids paint hub caps while adults straighten wire hangers and construct stem and leaf shapes.