Accuquilt Go! Fabric Cutter and Fall Medley Die (55041)
Tulip One-Step Dyes: Purple, Teal, Orange, Brown
Sewing machine and brown thread
scissors, ruler or measuring tape, water, plastic bowls, safety pins, paintbrush, newspaper or plastic tablecloth (to cover work surface), washer and dryer, iron and pressing surface
1. Measure and cut muslin as follows: skirt base, two 12"x17"; ties, two 9"x45"; center waist, 9"x17"; leaves, remaining fabric into 6" strips.
2. Die cut approximately 84 leaves using Fabric Cutter and Maple Leaf die. (Note: Fabric can be die cut up to eight layers at one time.)
3. Match up two leaves. Machine-sew vein lines on leaves. Repeat process until all leaves have vein lines. (Note: Designer created 42 leaf pairs for apron shown in photo.)
4. On covered work surface, follow manufacturer's instructions to mix One-Step Dyes separately in plastic bowls. Lightly dampen die-cut leaves with water.
5. Divide leaves into three piles. Use paintbrush to apply Purple dye on one pile of leaves, Orange dye on second pile of leaves, and Teal dye on third pile of leaves. Using photo as guide, add second dye color to center of leaf and brush towards outside edges, blending color to lighter tone. Apply second color starting from edges of leaves brushing inward. Apply Brown dye on some Purple and Orange leaves. Apply Purple dye on tips and centers of some Teal leaves. Apply Orange dye on tips of some Purple leaves. Let dry.
6. Dye skirt base and ties Purple following manufacturer's instructions. Let dry.
7. Wash and dry all dyed pieces in washing machine following manufacturer's instructions. Iron on low heat setting.
8. Sew skirt base pieces together, with right sides facing, along three sides; trim corners and turn right side out through opening. Press. Baste along open end.
9. Pin leaves on skirt base working from bottom up, spacing leaves to cover base. Sew along top edge of each leaf to secure in place.
10. Fold tie in half lengthwise with right sides facing; sew along long edge of fabric, finishing at end with 45º angle to corner of fabric. Repeat with other tie piece. Trim corners and turn right side out. Press.
11. Line center waist piece with leaf-covered apron base, covering top of leaves. Pin and sew in place. Sew ties to either side of center waist; press.
1. Stack and safety pin same-colored leaves together before putting in washer. This will eliminate having to sort leaves after washing.