Pattern - Chocolate Lover's Mug & Plate
Pattern - 5 Minute Chocolate Mug Cake Recipe
- 1. Remove stickers from mug and plate. Wipe design areas on mug and plate with rubbing alcohol; avoid touching areas to prevent transferring skin oils.
- 2. Print out pattern onto white copy paper. Use transfer paper to transfer basic cupcake patterns onto mug, spacing three cupcake designs evenly on center area. Omit frosting detailing and wrapper detailing at this time. (Transfer details throughout as needed.)
- 3. Prime tag with gesso. Sand lightly; wipe dust with soft cloth. Basecoat tag Butler Magenta. Transfer pattern onto top and bottom edges of tag.
- 4. For cupcakes, use #8 shader and Warm White to basecoat frosting on cupcakes #1 and #3. Repeat for opaque coverage. Use liner and generous amount of Wicker White to add frosting detailing to each cupcake.
- 5. For cupcake #2, use Warm White and appropriate-size shaders and round brush to basecoat light frosting swirls; basecoat dark frosting swirls Burnt Sienna. Use angular and mix of Sunflower + touch of Burnt Sienna to shade along right and left edges of light frosting swirls. Use Burnt Umber to shade along right and left edges of dark frosting swirls. Add Periwinkle highlights on outer edges of dark frosting swirls.
- 6. Use #4 shader and (1:1) mixture of Berry Wine + Butler Magenta to basecoat cherries; use 1/4" angular to shade Berry Wine and Butler Magenta to highlight. Use liner brush to add small Baby Pink comma stroke highlight shines. Paint stem Berry Wine. Use Butler Magenta to highlight stem and to line stem hollows.
- 7. Use #4 shader and Burnt Umber to basecoat cake area (under frosting) on each cupcake. Use Burnt Sienna to highlight center area, keeping edges of cake dark. Use #4 shader to highlight Periwinkle on outer edges of cake area.
- 8. Use Butler Magenta to basecoat cupcake wrappers. Use round brush to basecoat top ruffled edge and #8 shader for remaining area. (Note: Work quickly and keep wet edge while basecoating for a smooth finished look.) Repeat for opaque coverage. Use round brush and (1:1) mixture of Berry Wine + Butler Magenta to drybrush indented wrapper ridges; drybrush Baby Pink highlights on top part of ridges. Load #12 shader with Clear Medium; side-load brush with touch of Berry Wine then float sheer shading along left and right edges of wrappers. Use liner and touch of Baby Pink to highlight along top edge.
- 9. Using photo as guide, paint hearts randomly on mug and in tri-group on corners of plate; use liner brush, Pure Gold, Butler Magenta, Baby Pink, and Warm White to paint one half of heart in one color and other half in another.
- 10. Double-load #12 shader with Butler Magenta and Berry Wine to paint checks on plate. Repeat two to three times for opaque coverage.
- 11. Basecoat chocolate drippings on tag Coffee Bean; use 1/4" angular to shade Burnt Umber along bottom edges and use small amount of Sunflower to highlight, using photo as guide. Use liner and Warm White to add reflected highlight lines randomly. Use 1/4" angular to shade Berry Wine on tag under chocolate drippings and along outer edges of tag and heart cutouts.
- 12. Use liner and Warm White to paint thick areas of lettering on tag; let dry. Use fine-tip pen to finish lettering. For checks, double-load #4 shader with Warm White and Sunflower. Use fine-tip pen to add detailing above and below checks.
- 13. (Note: No varnish is needed for tag.) To finish, use rubbing alcohol on cotton swab to carefully remove fingerprints and smudges from mug and plate. Allow mug and plate to air-cure 21 days or bake in oven for added durability. To bake, allow painted project to dry one hour. Place in cold oven, then set temperature to 350° and bake for 30 minutes. Allow project to cool in oven before removing. To clean painted glassware, never soak or scrub; quickly wash in warm soapy water with soft cloth and pat dry.
- 14. For "Chocolate Cake in a Mug" tag, access recipe instructions by selecting the recipe icon. Download and print recipe instructions on pink cardstock; use deckle-edge scissors to trim to 2-1/4"x3-3/8" rectangle. Mat on 2-5/8"x3-3/4" brown cardstock rectangle.
- 15. Fill cellophane bags with single or multiple serving dry recipe ingredients (Note: For multiple servings, triple or quadruple dry ingredients.) Tie ribbon in bow above ingredients; attach recipe, tag, and whisk. Fill mug with crinkle paper; place individual serving on top of mug.
- 1. Remove mistakes with rubbing alcohol and cotton swab or paper towel. Use end of brush handle to gently scratch off unwanted dried paint.